Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No DIY Experience, and I Fell through my floor today! Help!

ME

09-05-14, 05:51 PM   #1  
No DIY Experience, and I Fell through my floor today! Help!

So, I know next to nothing about home repair, my husband and I just moved into a "new" trailer, and today I fell through the floor while walking through the front door. Its clearly rotted out, and I was hoping someone could let me know the basic idea of what I need to do to fix this. Thank you!

Sponsored Links

ME

09-05-14, 06:15 PM   #2  
Peas and Love : Photo Here is a picture.

Group Moderator

TX

09-05-14, 06:57 PM   #3  
My bet is it is particleboard and it has gotten wet. This is probably not a beginner DIY project because first you may have to rip out a good bit of floor just so you can get to where you have good floor., plus you often have to improvise repair methods as you go along so you need previous experience to base the improvisation on. Can you step back and give us a wider area shot. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

But if your up for it it can be a good learning experience and we will be glad to answer your questions.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited by ray2047; 09-06-14 at 07:15 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-06-14, 05:11 AM   #4  
Most MH floors are 5/8"particle board. You'll need to remove the tile, cut out and remove the damaged portion and then install 5/8" plywood or OSB. You might need to add some framing to attach the new plywood. The floor joists are likely 2x6s. Depending on the overall condition of the trailer floor, I often patch all the bad spots and then overlay the floor with 3/8"-1/2" plywood to make a nice smooth subfloor.

MHs are notorious for damaged PB along the perimeter and near plumbing, basically anywhere it gets wet.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

ME

09-06-14, 04:47 PM   #5  
Thank you! I will try to get a better picture and upload it here. I'm always up for a challenge and learning new things, so if this is potentially something I could do on my own, I would love to. Thank you for replying.

Search this Thread