Fixing floor support in bathroom

Old 09-06-14, 08:21 AM
Fixing floor support in bathroom

I'm remodeling my bathroom. I've pulled up damaged subfloor and found that one joist has been almost completely notched out to allow the toilet drain to pass through it. Boxing it out seems to be a challenge since there is a pipe running to an outdoor faucet in the space to the left and all of the drain pipe and bathroom water lines in the space to the right. I also need to add support where the subfloor will meet on the right, and I'm not sure of the easiest way to do that. The back wall is an outside wall. The side walls are not weight bearing. I believe I could notch just 2 or 3 inches to on the box to the left to allow it to fit over the faucet pipe, but I am at a loss on how to add support on the right. What is an acceptable way to support this floor, preferrably without doing major plumbing rerouting.Name:  IMG_20140902_090338.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  46.2 KBName:  IMG_20140902_090348.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  40.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-14, 02:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Since you mentioned an outdoor faucet, I assume that it's a first floor bathroom. If that's the case, is there access from a cellar?

Old 09-06-14, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
What's with the towel?

First I would assess the condition of the copper piping. In my area copper does not hold up well so whenever I open up a space I replace it all with PEX. The flexibility of PEX and simply having the copper out of the way makes structural repairs much easier. When faced with a situation like you're in I think of it almost like building the house. Start with the hard stuff like structure and get that sorted out. Then flexible things like water supply piping and electrical can usually be routed as needed.

Over on the right side I would either screw a 2x2 or other piece of wood to the existing subflooring, leaving half protruding to screw the new subfloor to. Or, I would sawzall the existing subfloor back flush with the bottom plate and scab onto the side of the joist and build out as needed. You don't need full support but as much as you can get would be best.

Old 09-06-14, 04:24 PM
Yes this is ranch and first floor bath.

The towel is stuffed into the toilet rough in to keep gases from coming out.

The cellar has drywall on the ceiling but I will eventually be pulling that down to redo the basement so I can break through it where needed.

Thanks for the tip on copper piping. When I redo my basement I want to move some pieces like hot water tank and furnace so I rather wait and replace a lot of the pipe at that point since the routes the water pipe will take be different. The hot water tank is at the far end of the house from the water inlet, and some pipe is capped off where an second hot water tank used to be. I'd like to simplify all of that eventually.

Even if I do make the switch to PEX now that covers me on the left side to box out the joist and drill a hole, but the drain pipe on the right would still prevent boxing it on the right. Do I just use 2x2's or 2x4's sideways to box to the right joist? Do they make some kind of steel piece I could use for connecting to joist on the right?

One person told me to just leave it as is since it's worked for over 40 years. I don't tend to leave things like this, so that makes me uneasy. I also removed a wall inside the bathroom that sectioned off the tub and shower...not sure if the bottom plates from that wall were helping to hold the joist up?

I do follow your recommendation on how to connect the subfloor edges and that makes sense so I will do that.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it as this is one thing I ran into that is just over my head.

Old 09-06-14, 04:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Follow the advice on installing new subfloor.

The one joist that's cut for toilet line, I wouldn't worry about. Even though this joist is null and void, look at the good points:

To the left is a joist @ 16".

To the right is a non load bearing wall at less than 16". This wall will have supporting members under it, whether load bearing or not. Essentially, the wall's lower members serve as another joist or even better, since the wall and members are nailed together (and tied into subfloor).

Old 09-06-14, 06:27 PM
Thank you! That certainly makes it much easier, and I feel better knowing people with experience have weighed in on the issue!