Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floor leveling over a slab with leveling strips. Advice on vapor barrier.

MD

09-10-14, 07:49 AM   #1  
Floor leveling over a slab with leveling strips. Advice on vapor barrier.

Hi folks,
My home is on a concrete slab and I have a room on the front of my house that's about 20x10 and the 10 foot width over the years has sloped down about 2 inches (poured concrete back in the 40s).
I'm ripping everything out now and decided to go with wood leveling strips and a 3/4 inch plywood floor (I'm a pansy, and not confident enough to pour more concrete )

I had thought about laying down a heavy moisture barrier and the screw the leveling strips into the slab floor with tapcons. I had thought about going a step further and laying down styrofoam insulation between the leveling strips but wasn't sure if that was overkill.

We just plan to lay carpet over that and I thought I'd see if anyone had any further advice they wish to share or any possible pitfalls with this plan.

Many thanks!
Julian

Sponsored Links

OR

09-11-14, 10:23 PM   #2  
I seriously doubt your room's floor slab settled 2". It's far more likely that it was an open porch at one time (sloped to drain water), that some previous owner decided to enclose and make a finished room. But regardless, your idea might work, but could definitely involve more work than a simple concrete overlay, properly installed, would provide.

Search this Thread