Putting 2 holes in band joist for sump and radon

Old 09-13-14, 09:30 PM
Putting 2 holes in band joist for sump and radon

Hello all,

I have 2x8 band joists. The floor joists are 2x8 and 16" center. There is already a 4.5" hole for a dryer vent in the band joist near a corner of my home. I need to create some holes in the band joist in between floors joists in the adjacent joists to where the dryer vent is (not in the same joist bay). I am planning to install 1.5" pvc pipe for a sump pump to drain outside of my home and planning to hire someone to install a radon mitigation system (which I expect would require 3" or 4" pipe). I need to drill a 2" or so hole for the sump pipe and then later the radon people need to do a 3.5"/4.5" hole for the radon pipe. These pipes need to be located in between the same two joists due to some obstructions. Is it acceptable to have a 2" hole and 4.5" hole in the band joist in between the same floor joist bay? Thanks.

Attachment 38230

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-14, 10:13 PM
You should be fine.Just wondering why the newer sister joist did not extend a bit more or is it a scab?

Old 09-13-14, 10:21 PM
Thanks. It was installed to reduce joist deflection for a granite tile installation above it (middle 2/3 or more length of the original joist).

Old 09-13-14, 10:28 PM
o.k. thought it might be a nailer or something.