Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Safe to assume non-perimeter basement walls aren't load bearing?

NE

10-01-14, 07:25 PM   #1  
Safe to assume non-perimeter basement walls aren't load bearing?

I just bought an older house (1961) that had the basement finished at some point. They have 3 closets side by side that I'd like to connect to make one big cavity to put a built-in desk into for an office area. I have read comments that suggest none of these could be load bearing since the basement originally didn't have them. Or so I assume, I suppose it is possible the basement was finished from the very beginning. For all I know there could be some kind of pole in one of them but that would seem kind of odd so close to the perimeter wall. The house is a split entry so the second picture shows the view up on the entrance level where you can see the steps heading down and up. Also in the first picture you can see the angled part on the left (in two of the sections) which is the bottom of the stairs going up.

What say you experts?

Name:  IMAG3225.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  20.5 KB
Name:  IMAG3227.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  19.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-02-14, 03:30 AM   #2  
Convoluted staircases sometimes have load bearing features that may not be readily evident. Both walls on either side of the up and down stairs could be load bearing, so they cannot be moved. If you properly header the closets, you can eliminate the central unit, assuming this is what you plan on doing. Calling in a structural engineer for his/her blessings would make it go easier.

Search this Thread