Replacing Roof.

Old 10-16-14, 04:39 PM
Replacing Roof.

We are going to be replacing our roof next summer with a new roof. Our house is a ranch style home that is 1,079 square feet. The carport is open and we want to turn that into a room. My question is will it be possible to add a second story on top of the garage before we have the new roof put on? We are also going to extend the foundation of the house by 5 or 10 feet to make the new room bigger.

I also wanted to know is it possible to replace the exterior walls before we add the new roof. Right now we two 42 inches by 72 inches side by side and we want to take one of them out. If we do that then will it be possible to redo each wall with ICF Concrete?

Sorry if I am not being specific, these are just some of the things I was wondering about.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-14, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! With most construction of single story houses or garages, they are not initially structured for a second floor. That will mean the skeleton will need beefing up, possibly requiring the removal of the interior wall covering to perform the work. That being said, it is always best to enlist the services of a structural engineer to first see if it can be done, and what would be required to do it.

Old 10-16-14, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Ditto what Larry said - you need someone on-site to evaluate all of this for you.

Old 10-17-14, 04:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would just add that you'd want to do all the work at the same time. Any expansion to the house would need to be dried in and it doesn't make much sense to install a temporary roof. Your architect/engineer will let you know what has to be done and the likelihood of your local jurisdiction approving the plan.