Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bright Common Used On Sill Plate

RI

10-22-14, 06:33 AM   #1  
Bright Common Used On Sill Plate

Neighbor had some sill plate replacement done where the top plate was replaced with pressure treated in sections. Bright common 16D nails were used to attach the new top plate to the already existing bottom plate. The job is still exposed. Should my neighbor have the contractor pull the top plate and re-apply a new one using hot-dipped galvanized or stainless fasteners? Or should he just have them add more nails with either of the above mentioned materials should the common nails corrode? We are wondering about the corrosion possibilities of the bright common nails in the top sill plate. Although they will not be exposed to moisture, there is obviously chemicals in the wood. If the nails corrode, which they most likely will over time, what type of damage will the corrosion cause to the wood?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

10-22-14, 06:56 AM   #2  
I think your concern is valid but I'm missing something with this comment:
to attach the new top plate to the already existing bottom plate
The studs are what connect the bottom plate to the top plate - can you clarify what you're saying here?

RI

10-22-14, 07:10 AM   #3  
By bottom plate I meant the bottom sill plate that rests on top of the concrete foundation. That is PT that was undamaged. The sill plate is a doubled 2" x 6". The top plate was damaged by termites, so I think that is why they opted to use PT on the repair.

Group Moderator

WI

10-22-14, 07:19 AM   #4  
So you're referring to the top half of a doubled bottom plate?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-22-14, 07:34 AM   #5  
If the fastners aren't rated for contact with PT wood they will corrode. It's not likely the corrosion will hurt the wood [other than staining] but when the nails corrode enough - the wood will no longer be securely attached.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

RI

10-22-14, 07:38 AM   #6  
Yes, the top half of the bottom plate. So should we remove the PT and replace with new PT and proper fasteners? Or just add the proper fasteners that will last after the others corrode?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

10-22-14, 08:01 AM   #7  
Makes no since to remove anything, just add more ACQ approved nails.
It should say right on the box ACQ approved.
It's the copper in the wood in contact with the steel in the nails that's going to form electrolysis and eat up the nails in no time.
The wrong nails left in there are not going to effect the strength of anything.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-22-14, 09:06 AM   #8  
I agree, just add the appropriate galvanized nails. My biggest concern would be if the contractor dropped the ball on the nails - did he do anything else wrong? I'd be closely inspecting all his work to make sure it's done correctly.

RI

10-22-14, 09:58 AM   #9  
All else is good. Seems to have been an honest mistake of not realizing what nails were in the nailer at the time.

RI

10-22-14, 10:20 AM   #10  
I found this information on the web. Maybe it is not such a big concern after all since it is the sill plate and it will not be exposed to the elements. Look what it states under "Dry Use Applications".

http://bayarearetrofit.com/wp-conten...Q_Fastener.pdf

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

10-22-14, 10:45 AM   #11  
I had never heard that before but think I'd still want to play it safe and use galvanized nails.

Search this Thread