Sill plate cut through for DWV drain

Old 11-05-14, 08:59 PM
Sill plate cut through for DWV drain

I removed the drywall in my garage to look at putting in a drain for the washing machine. Looks like they completely cut through the sill plate to put in the drain and water lines. Not good! What do I do? I was planning on sistering in some 2x6s so I could connect the washer drain to the stack but not sure what to do now. The cleanout is in the way so I can't even use a metal strap to hold the sill together.

Name:  2014-11-05 18.35.15.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  2014-11-05 18.35.44.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  41.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-14, 01:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rest easy. Nothing is going anywhere. You should attach a metal no-nail plate across the plate and allow it to extend from the cleanout to the plate to protect that water line. Other than that, there isn't much needed to do. Granted, the wall should have been a 2x6 wall for plumbing, but looking at the lumber, it probably wasn't in the works in the 1950s.

Old 11-06-14, 10:42 PM
I would have thought cutting through the sill plate like that would make the wall dangerous. I guess if it's been standing this long...

Old 11-08-14, 06:42 PM
I would agree with Chandler's advice to not worry about anything--except for the fact that you live in a region of the country prone to earthquakes, some of which can be serious. If it was mine, I would bridge across the gap in the sill by using a custom-made steel bracket, drilled to lag into some good meat in the 2 sill plate ends and having an arch or gap to bridge over/under the plumbing clean-out. A few hours with a welder and some scrap steel should do it, but make sure it's stiff enough not to flex excessively when the house experiences a significant earthquake. It won't help if you're close to the epicenter, but on the fringes it could help prevent that wall from collapsing.

Old 11-08-14, 08:08 PM
All of the weight of the wall is downward on the sill plate so it isn't really a structural member. The bolt visible on the right holds the sill plate from moving laterally in an earthquake. I would just add a similar bolt to the left of the cast iron stack if there is not already one present.

Search this Thread