45 degree bent staircase framing

Old 11-16-14, 04:24 AM
45 degree bent staircase framing

I am just finishing framing my son's house for him. I need to build a 16 rise staircase that bend 45 degrees after the 7th rise. There isn't a landing, just two 22.5 degree steps and then continuing on. Help would be appreciated on layout and technique.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-14, 04:56 AM
Hi Rock and welcome to the forum.
The carpenter pros will be along, but I couldn't help myself and had to sketch it out. One of the first details I would need is a footprint of the space available and the elevations. Rise and run of the beginning and end will affect the width available for the turn. It could be a one step or two step turn. It could be a small landing, narrower on one side.

Let us know.
Bud

Old 12-07-14, 08:02 AM
Photo of staircase

I have been very busy trying to get the house enclosed before winter really gets nasty. Back to the stair project. Here is a photo of the drawing. 9'2" floor to floor. Thanks, RandyName:  Eden Mills Stairs.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 12-07-14, 08:14 AM
I would build the first 22.5 step as a landing all the way under the second. Then end your second set of stairs onto that landing and extend the long side to form the second 22.5 step. Fun to calculate it all out, but really not all that bad.

If building that landing is not possible, space needed for something, then attaching an extension to the side walls for each run of stairs is an option.

Bud

Old 12-07-14, 09:09 AM
I would build both of the winders as platforms. I think that will be easiest. I don't think you will be able to extend the stringer far enough for one of those steps and have satisfactory support.

Old 12-07-14, 09:30 AM
Thanks

I will be building 2 separate stair units and set the upper on the platform and butt the lower to it. Way easier. I guess I was looking too hard. Thanks to all.. Randy

Old 12-07-14, 12:01 PM
Draw out an elevation plan to be sure you get all of the rises equal. Account for carpet, flooring, nose at the top, and covering those 22.5 angled steps to match.

Enjoy
Bud