Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Level a 2x6 floor

11-28-14, 07:23 PM   #1  
Level a 2x6 floor

I am remodeling an older cottage. The living room is 14x19. The floor joists for the second floor run the 14ft length. The joists at one end of the room are sagging about a 1/2".

The floor joists for the second floor are 2x6's spaced 24" on center (I know they are undersized).

I added a couple of LVL's to the joists that were sagging.
I also added lvl's at the halfway point of each span. The deflection is much less but the sag remains above the spots where I kept the old joist an added the lvl.

I would like to try a flitch beam in place of one of the old joists (with an LVL).

What size plate would I need? Would 1/8 be enough? I found a document online but it started at 2x8.
I think the floor is strong enough but the deflection in the LVL's will not correct the sag.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

11-29-14, 04:57 AM   #2  
Can you post pictures of what you have done so far? Not close up.

12-04-14, 03:26 PM   #3  
I have not been able to upload from my phone or iPad. Unfortunately, my laptop is having issues.

I will send you a picture through the site email. It is of the original 2x6's with 4 lvl's sisters to them. Since the picture was taken, I have added 6 lvl's in between the original joists. The goal was to try and get to 12" oc but the original joists were pieced together.

Keep in mind the original joists were pieced together.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

Search this Thread