building a room addition

Old 12-05-14, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
building a room addition

I am in the process of planning a new room addition on to our house and will be doing most of the work myself. The room will be 20x22 but my problem im trying to figure out is the way the existing house is the addition will have to be about 8 feet off the ground. I'm curious how this can be done preferably using pole footings instead of having to pour any concrete and is there any easy way to determine how much material I will need for the sub floor and framing? my help is way more experienced than me but im trying to plan the costs myself? any help would be great

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-14, 10:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's just no way anyone on the net is going to be able to design, figure materials and price this for you on the net.
Need someone on site that knows what there doing and knows local codes.
Going to need permits for this and the inspector is going to want to see drawings.
Not a great first time DIY job.

Old 12-06-14, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Even if you set the addition on posts - they still need a concrete footer! Talking to the folks at your local permit office would be a good place to start. They should be able to let you know what the footer [and other] requirements are. You can get a better idea on material costs after you get a list of what you need.

Pics might allow us to offer more advice - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 12-06-14, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the advice! this is by no means my first diy project though just doing things a little differently to make it work with the existing structure. I've usually just let someone else handle all the planning and designing that goes along with it. I guess I more just wanted to know everyones thoughts on using poles instead of laying block or pouring a new foundation. seems like the best way to go in my case just never done or seen it done in person

Old 12-06-14, 09:36 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
The best investment (IMO) would be a poured foundation, as future buyers will shy away from posts and keeping that room warm will be a challenge. But a foundation for a walk-out basement isn't just a simple box as the new footings will need to be below the frost line all the way around and tied into the existing ones. Getting past the current footings and down to the new level shouldn't be a problem, but should be engineered.

Bud

Old 12-06-14, 08:49 PM
There are several good reasons for your not seeing any pole foundation additions. Probably the most important one being the difficulty of trying to attach a flexible foundation (poles) to a rigid one (concrete walls). About 30 years ago in NM, I had the opportunity to look at a house with a pole foundation addition, and the experience was memorable. The place had been on the market for more than a year, and the listing realtor mentioned that she didn't think the owner/builder had used an engineer or applied for a permit to do the addition--everything literally shook when someone walked across the living room floor. By spending enough money on engineering and materials, it probably could be done, but quite possibly could be cost prohibitive to do so.

When issuing a permit, your building department will want to see stamped plans and design calculations from a licensed engineer, so you should consider bringing one on board sooner rather than later.