Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2x4 24 oc

VA

12-11-14, 09:36 PM   #1  
2x4 24 oc

Hey guys

I'm doing a small remodel project on one of the bedrooms in my house. I'm tearing down the bead board walls, rewiring the electricity, and then I will hang drywall. After I gutted the walls, I found that both the interior and exterior walls are all built using 2x4s at 24 oc. I know in modern times, usually 2x4s are used at 16 oc and if you want to go 24oc you would use 2x6.

My house was built in 1922, so I'm assuming this was a common practice back then. But since I've never heard of this before, I'm not sure. Do you guys think this will be a problem when the city inspector comes to inspect my electrical work?

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

12-11-14, 09:40 PM   #2  
Since you are going to have it inspected, I would call the inspector. You don't want to find out that there is a problem, after you did all the work.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

12-12-14, 03:16 AM   #3  
I agree. It is easier to run cables through studs than it is to add studs to cables already in place.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-12-14, 03:28 AM   #4  
If your question is really are they going to say something about the 24" spacing, then the answer is no.
Since that wall is open now would be the time to build out the old studs on the exterior walls so you could use R19 instead of R13.
Just drill your holes through the middle of the old studs, and make some jamb extensions for the windows.
Balloon wall construction? If so you have to fire block those walls before sheet rocking.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-12-14, 04:05 AM   #5  
interior and exterior walls are all built using 2x4s at 24 oc ....... My house was built in 1922, so I'm assuming this was a common practice back then
In the south 24" centers was fairly common in houses built in the 70's and 80's, especially with the lower cost homes. I doubt the inspector would have a problem with the existing framing BUT it's a good idea to ask as it's easier to fix [if there is an issue] before installing the wires.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

VA

12-12-14, 12:17 PM   #6  
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'll check with the inspector. I can take awhile to hear back from his office, so I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Search this Thread