6 month old cabin, when to level?

Old 01-01-15, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
6 month old cabin, when to level?

Had a country cabin built about six months ago. It's on blocks and soil is sandy loam iirc. What's the settling time before I get it leveled?

Old 01-02-15, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Is there a concrete footer below the blocks or are they just sitting on the soil? A properly constructed bldg shouldn't settle, at least not a noticeable amount. If it has a poor foundation, re leveling may be an ongoing process.

Old 01-02-15, 04:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Without footings, it will never stay level. It should have been set on a footing and leveled at the beginning. Of course mobile homes are set on blocks every day, but require leveling. Different with steel beams versus what you have, however.

Old 01-02-15, 05:24 PM
I must be losing my mind, didn't include any pics

The front porch, third pic was set in a hole and concrete poured in, not an actual stand alone footer. Cabin interior is 16x32, porch is 8x32. I did the primer and paint.

Old 01-02-15, 05:48 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And I'll bet those are hollow concrete blocks and aren't mortared. Was it a licensed contractor that did that? No permit pulled I'm guessing.

Old 01-02-15, 06:26 PM
Correct, hollow and no mortar. See a ton of it everywhere and no permits (or inspections) required for anything but septic. Guessing not licensed, not sure if you need one in Texas like electricians, plumbers, etc., do.

Old 01-02-15, 06:37 PM
J
Texas, home of the shrink swell soils.
Without proper footing your always going to dealing without of level issue.
No joist hangers?
Are those just 2 X 6 joist?
No mortar!!
Codes or not there's a right way and a wrong way to build things.

Old 01-02-15, 06:49 PM
Aside from what has been said on the foundation, you will benefit greatly by extending your rafter tails to 12 to 18" past the edge of the building and installing lookouts and a false rafter at each end to perform the same function. What are the metal pieces on top of the joists on the house end? Did you use joist hangers on the outer band?

Old 01-02-15, 07:12 PM
Yes, I believe the 2x6, but I could be wrong, no joist hangars used anywhere.

What does the rafter tail/false rafter do? What length should the tails be? 3 to 1 (1 overhanging)? Should I go back and install hangars? How often should I get the cabins leveled?

Unfortunately, we aren't having a ton of luck with contractors. We've only been able to get one electrician out for a bid which we never received, two well guys (said they weren't interested in doing any repairs), four septic quotes, only two people showed up, was only able to get one quote in writing, and not one followed up, etc.. We haven't started looking for a plumber....

We're not that far from Houston, about 65 miles from downtown.

Last edited by 123generic; 01-02-15 at 07:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-02-15, 07:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My house is not far from you and older then me the one oldest side was balloon framed* on hollow block. The blocks tipped out and ends of the joists eventually pulled loose from the rim joists and were just left hanging in free air but my blocks were only about two high. Yours are higher with more blocks and I'd be worried more likely to tilt. At least your walls rest on the floors so that will tend to keep it together.

*Balloon framed the walls rest on the joists not the floor.

Old 01-02-15, 08:36 PM
I listen to Steve Drake (700am, 11 to noon) and he said a few weeks back (iirc) that Houston had more housing starts in 2013 that all of California. At any given time, there seem to be 10 new buildings going up along BW8 or I-10. One customer told us they had to move or wait an entire year for the next opening.

My guess is contractors aren't hungry. We've seen a ton of steady business since 2006 and no sign of slowing down.

Anyhoo, if I was able to find a contractor, would I look for a foundation guy or another carpenter to install footings and/or stabilize the structure? I'm thinking that job is way out of my league.

Old 01-03-15, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Ideally you'd jack the building up and support it while the pier blocks are removed and redone with a concrete footer and mortar. Not really a diy type job Whenever construction is booming the good contractors stay busy and have a long list of customers waiting for them.

mobile homes are set on blocks every day, but require leveling
Some jurisdictions now require a concrete footer under every pier.

Old 01-03-15, 05:56 AM
Yes, install joist hangers at the end of every joist. I see they are resting on a 2x2 at the house side. As long as your joist is not notched, it may pass, but joist hangers are required. Rafter tails and false rafters will keep rain and other inclimate weather from banging your house and causing problems. You want to keep rain at a considerable distance when dripping off. Otherwise your siding will not last long. Rafter tails and false rafters should be a minimum of 12" from the face of the siding. They tend to offer some shade at critical times of the day as well.

You will be leveling the house forever if you don't have footings poured, and will have to contend with door binding, window cracking, interior wall covering (sheetrock) cracking in the meantime.

I visited our daughter in Denver back in October. You can't find anyone to change a lightbulb due to the prolific construction going on, so good luck with finding one. We can help you do this yourself, with the exception of jacking the structure for footing pouring. That will really need to be done professionally.

Old 01-03-15, 06:06 AM
Don't quite remember but think we had to wait 8 weeks or so on this guy. Main selling point was he'd do the work. We had a new roof put on our home a few years back. The salesman was American and spoke English, the actual contractors didn't speak a word.

The day after they left, we found pry marks on a few windows and both patio doors. I called the owner of the company to give him a heads up, he never returned my call. I figured oh well, when your guys rob, murder, or cause you to get sued, you'll spend more than two minutes on the phone.

Old 01-03-15, 06:09 AM
On the rafters, I'm sure I can do that. If I go 18" outside the structure, do I go 54" on the inside? Also, does that mean all new sheets of metal or can I extend/splice (so to speak) those?

Old 01-03-15, 06:34 AM
Pictures don't show any metal. Is this thing further along than the pictures show???

Old 01-03-15, 07:00 AM
I need to upgrade my coffee or up my intake ...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ro...ml#post2367016

Old 01-03-15, 07:20 AM
The metal problem didn't relate to the overall cabin. If it is dried in, leave it as it is. It is better to have it finished than to go back after the fact and make patch work repairs. Do you have pictures of the exterior of the cabin so we can see how far along it is now?

Old 01-04-15, 06:17 AM
Should have a short day at work, will get some pics this afternoon.

Old 01-05-15, 10:10 AM
Got off work later than I hoped. Has in a hurry to beat the sunset and forgot to measure rafter size.

Three parts here, big cabin, small cabin, then small cabin deck.

Other cabin, same contractor

Part two inc

Old 01-05-15, 10:13 AM
Decking concern, staying wet

Last, but not least, at least this was done right last night

Old 01-05-15, 01:57 PM
Overhangs are good. Did you correct the over-under flashing between house and porch/deck?

Old 01-06-15, 05:32 AM
Not yet, waiting for a break in our work schedule. Doing seven days a week at the moment.

Old 01-11-15, 06:47 PM
Question about the flashing where the ends meet/overlap. Do I need to add that black sticky stuff that comes on a roll between the seams? The same stuff they use to seal/join the roof sections to each other. Also, do I put the closures at the end of the flashing (like where it is now)?

Old 03-04-15, 05:33 PM
May have time to finally do this next week.

Asked earlier but didn't get a response. If I get four ten foot pieces for this 32' span, how much should I cut off and how much should overlap.

Thanks again, guys!

Old 03-04-15, 07:40 PM
Sort of like talking to my wife. Ask a question a month later and only give information you understand. . What span and 4 pieces of what? I'll try to answer.

Old 03-04-15, 08:11 PM
The flashing between the house and porch/deck.

Old 03-05-15, 03:58 AM
Oh, OK. You'll need at least a foot of overlap. You will have a little over 2 1/2' each, so no harm done with the excess overlapping. Just remember, under the top half and over the porch part. Glad to see you are back at it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: