Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Contiguous overhead joist space between rooms

MD

01-03-15, 10:19 PM   #1  
Contiguous overhead joist space between rooms

Not sure if this is a "basement" or "framing" question so if necessary please move it...

I am finishing part of my basement. In one room, which is basically 1/4 of the house, I am leaving the ceiling open so that the joists remain exposed (to retain height etc). There is a second room beside it which will have a finished ceiling, in fact using resilient clips to dampen sound transmission. This room is on the other side of the central beam which the joists rest on, so it's effectively sharing contiguous joist space; e.g. on one side of the beam, the airspace will be "inside" the room, b/c the "ceiling" is basically the subfloor, while on the other, it is between drywall and subfloor.
There will also be a small section where the space on the other side of the beam opposing the big room is unfinished "basement" space.

Are there any code, or other considerations for this? There will be a soffit sticking out there in the finished room so it's not lik you're looking right overt he wall, due to the angle it'll just be "dark" space. Most of the joist spaces that cross the rooms are filled with AC ducts or plumbing so just blocking them off is not possible.
I'm assuming there will be acoustic issues.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-04-15, 04:53 AM   #2  
b/c the "ceiling" is basically the subfloor, while on the other, it is between drywall and subfloor
Got me on that one. The subfloor is on top of the joists. Maybe you could post a few pictures of this so we can see what you see. There may be code issues regarding fire blocking, etc. that your explanation didn't cover.

MD

01-04-15, 08:09 AM   #3  
Sorry, it was late, that was not very coherent.

When the project is finished, the "ceiling" of the main room will be the subfloor, seen between the joists. However in the room beside, on the other side of the beam, the "ceiling" is the drywall attached to the bottom of the joists.

So at least in theory, once it is completed one could stand on a ladder in the finished main room with their head between the joists, and peer through to the other side and be looking into the space between ceiling and subfloor on the other side.
Or, in the other corner of the room, be looking out into the unfinished part of the basement.

So I guess teh question is, is it a problem for the joist space of the one room, which is above the drywall, to be contiguous with the open air space of the other?

(really, since I plan to use resilient clips on that drywall ceiling, all of the joist space in there will also be contiguous instead of blocked off "channels".)

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-04-15, 08:15 AM   #4  
OK, yeah, although no code issue, I would block the joists between the rooms, if for no other reason to keep them separate should there be any HVAC issues between rooms. Make the room as autonomous as possible, even if you have to build down a little to hide ductwork, electrical, etc.
Hope I am on the right track.

MD

01-04-15, 09:59 AM   #5  
Any neat tricks for blocking them off, since most have HVAC lines, plumbing, etc running through them already?
Will kind of a pain, but I guess I could make a 14.25x9.5" plat, then cut a big hole in it measured very carefully for the HVAC line or whatever, then slice it into 2 pieces so I can fit it in?
The one w/ several plumbing lines will be fun ;-).

Search this Thread