Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page > Planning 4 a 14' x 20' two story addition to house non heated

Planning 4 a 14' x 20' two story addition to house non heated

Old 01-08-15, 06:27 AM
Lightbulb Planning 4 a 14' x 20' two story addition to house non heated

I built my house 24 years ago, am very capable, but not a builder. I am also electromechanical tech/HVAC so also did electrical and heating cooling.

In those days I built with 2 x 8" boards with a center load bearing wall, 16" on center, as with rafters on a bilevel home. I have never built using new Ijoists or web trusses, but am going to span the 20' with web trusses, as they are stronger than Ijoists, and trimmable ends type.

The 20' side is parallel to the house length which is 40', with connecting 14' sides attaching to the house. So, no question is stupid, but.

If I attach webtrusses every 16" from house to end wall of addition, do I use a webtruss next to house and at end on 20' long wall for best support? OR is there a better way, not cheaper than this?

Not being cheap on framing, but do not know. I don't think the rim board is strong enough for this but do not know? I'm guessing the rim boards aren't, but want some experienced perspective here. Or better other ideas.

thanks to all who answer. dg

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-15, 11:13 AM
Trusses

do I use a webtruss next to house and at end on 20' long wall for best support?
Yes........................................

Search this Thread