Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

1979 built home doesn't have sill plate - how to address

Old 01-08-15, 11:16 AM

My house was built in 1979. The framing is ok, with exception of there's no sill plate. The joists rest right on the cinder blocks above the foundation. I know this is non-standard framing. The joists aren't rotting, and it's not causing any structural issues. I don't think I am interested in lifting the whole house and putting in a sill plate, but what I would like to do is seal it off. I was thinking about lifting about an 6-8' span at a time just enough to slide some flashing and some polly sheeting between the block wall and the joists for the purpose of bug barrier and moisture control.

in researching I've heard people talking about copper flashing. Anyone know why this is preferred over galvanized steel?

Also interested in hearing opinions about lifting a small span probably 1/16-1/8th of an inch to slide in the flashing. This sound do-able?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-15, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! could you post a few pictures of what you have, so we can see what you see? It would help us give you better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-08-15, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Whole lot of work with little to gain.
Copper is used when pressure treated wood is used as foundation plate.
Not going to do a thing to control moisture.
Want to control termites then have a real exterminator come treat it by shooting a termicide down inside the blocks.

Old 01-08-15, 11:45 AM
As joe mentioned, termites would be my concern. Although moisture can wick up through the blocks, if that were going to be a problem, you would know it by now.

I would be concerned jacking up a small area, buildings don't like to flex. Also, check for some form of attachment, bolts or something. Since it would require many jacks, wouldn't be too expensive to rent a few extra and jack up one side at a time. Might prevent some cracking of the walls. Doors will be upset as well.

Even in 79 they were using either metal flashing or a foam sill seal material, but they also used a sill plate. When you see something like that, it makes you wonder what you can't see .

Bud

Old 01-08-15, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not so much concerned with termites, those haven't been an issue at my house thankfully. I'm about to do a project to try to remediate some crawlspace moisture issues. I'm trying to do a poor man's encapsulation. I'm going to lay a 10 mil vapor barrier and run it up the walls to within 4-6" of the top of the crawlspace wall and seal it to the wall, seal it to the columns, etc. I'm going after the big air/moisture leaks without going nuts for every single nook and cranny...for now. The open blocks I thought would be a large source of moisture, so I was wanting to try to do something about that. The flashing and poly seemed like the easiest way to do some kind of way to slow down moisture ingress into the crawlspace so that I can use some conditioned air to control the humidity level once I block off the vents and have a good vapor barrier down