Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Load bearing framing ?

WI

01-22-15, 07:31 PM   #1  
Load bearing framing ?

Hi, I am new to the forum, I bought a house last year and we are slowly working on it, in the room I am making in to our bed room they had a really ugly and in the way I guess you would say closet that was in the middle of the room so to open it up I am removing it. But I am not sure if I can remove this post. At first it looked like a suport but the more I look at it I don't think it is. What is your take on it? It's not a wide room so I wouldn't see why they would need one there.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links

WI

01-22-15, 07:38 PM   #2  
The 2x4 under the beam is not supported by the wall. The room is just under 11 and 1/2 feet wide.

Attached Images

Last edited by redneckchevy; 01-22-15 at 08:11 PM.

Group Moderator

NJ

01-22-15, 09:55 PM   #3  
Welcome to the forums.

What is under the red arrow...... on the floor below ?

Name:  0122151717a.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  33.9 KB

~ Pete ~

WI

01-23-15, 06:02 AM   #4  
On the 3'ed photo i posted is the bottom of it.

It looks to be nailed to the 2x4 that they have nailed to the SubFloor that framed the back of the closet off of.

If you would like any different photos just let me know.

Gary

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-23-15, 06:26 AM   #5  
It's impossible for us to tell you if a wall or beam is load bearing. Someone needs to be in the house and inspect it. An Architect would be my first call, or an engineer, maybe even a reputable builder with staff.

But we can help you get a good idea.

So the large ceiling beam is staying? You just want to remove the post?
Is the wall being torn out, the one with ladder?

Name:  closet.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  31.1 KB

You need to inspect the beam and ensure it's a solid piece all the way across room. No joints. Length of beam is??
You need to find and determine which way the ceiling joists are running. If they run in the direction of my yellow lines, chances are the beam is bearing.
Is there a second story above the beam? If so, use tape measure to determine what is above beam.
When PJ asked what's below post, he meant is there a basement?
The 2 openings with yellow circles, what where these openings?

This is enough to get you started. You can post back results.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Group Moderator

NJ

01-23-15, 09:22 AM   #6  
Not "on" the floor. Under the floor. If this room is on the second floor.... what is under it on the first floor ?

~ Pete ~

WI

01-23-15, 11:14 AM   #7  
Sorry i should have gave more info.

It is a 2 story house with a basment and this is on the top floor. The large beam is staying i know that is a main load bearing beam. The large beam runs alltheway across the house on the upper level. so it goes though 2 other bed rooms and a hall way. From what i can see there is no joints in the beam in this room.

The wall with the ladder is staying, i am just hoping to remove the small post in the middle of the room.

Sorry i miss understood what PJ was asking.
Below this room under the post is open living room and above is the ceiling, about 3 feet of blown in insulation and roof.

Outside of the door opening is the hall way to get to the room and the other door is a hall way closet.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-23-15, 06:35 PM   #8  
What are the dimensions at A and B.

Example:
A is 7 feet from wall at right of picture to post. Also say if this is an exterior wall or interior.
B is 7 feet from wall at left to post, interior or exterior wall.

Name:  beamwall.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  29.0 KB

Brian
Cal Contractor

WI

01-23-15, 07:11 PM   #9  
B is 65 1/2'' and is a interior wall. A is 68 3/4" and is a exterior wall.

Group Moderator

NJ

01-23-15, 07:56 PM   #10  
If there is an open room directly under the framing in question.... I'd doubt it's load bearing.
Normally there would be framing right down to the foundation under that if it was load bearing.

~ Pete ~

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-23-15, 08:04 PM   #11  
Usually it's advised to seek an engineer or other. In your case I would go for it.
I would though, just for the heck of it, put a 4 x 4 (or two 2 x 4) at the end of the wall where ladder sits, these will support beam even if not required.
It looks like that wall butts up to the beam, so adding to the length is minor and won't take up much room.

Brian
Cal Contractor

WI

01-23-15, 08:17 PM   #12  
The beam goes through that wall and has 2 2x4 in the wall supporting it.
Would you still add 2x4s or a 4x4 just for added support? Also On just that wall or on both wall's?

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-23-15, 08:42 PM   #13  
Name:  endofwall.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  28.8 KB

I'm not sure what you mean, beam goes through wall.

I say lengthen (ladder) wall just a little, placing support under beam. Everything else can stay as is.
And I think you already know the 2 x 4's attached to bottom of beam can stay or go, depending on height you want.

Brian
Cal Contractor

WI

01-23-15, 09:44 PM   #14  
The beam runs all the way across the up house. It goes through 3 walls before it gets to the other side of the house. Here is a few more photos of were it goes through the wall separating the room I am working on from the room next to it.

Attached Images

WI

01-23-15, 09:56 PM   #15  
This is the room right next to the one I am working on. As you see the beam keeps going across the house.

Attached Images

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

01-24-15, 06:13 AM   #16  
You are OK.
For some reason I thought that black section of wall was not in line with the ladder wall.
Your original picture looked like black section was maybe 4 feet parallel to it.

The set up you have is even better.
The post you want to remove must have been the edge of a door that's no longer needed.

Brian
Cal Contractor

Search this Thread