Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

removing support post

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-31-15, 04:12 AM   #1  
removing support post

A friend of mine has a cheaply built bldg that consists of a tool room on one side and storage room on the other with a 20x20 carport in the middle. He's inclosed the carport and turned it into a shop. There is a ridge beam [2x6] that runs down the middle of the shop with a 4x4 post in the middle. He wants to remove that post. What size header does he need to install? It has a metal roof installed on slats if it matters.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-31-15, 04:20 AM   #2  
Any chance we could see pictures? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html, Oh, duh, you know how to do it Hard to tell from the description, but a 2x6 running 20' is suspect at best. Does he have posts at each end of the 2x6 for support? He may be able to run a double 11 1/2" LVL beam supported on the ends.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-31-15, 05:26 AM   #3  
Originally there were 3 posts along the middle of the carport; 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. I don't know if he left the ones on the ends when he framed up the walls ... but the ends are supported. It's obvious this bldg was built before permits were required in the county I told him I thought he'd need an LVL but didn't know what size. Another idea he was kicking around was to use a 6" steel beam but was concerned with how much it would weigh - lifting it in place. About how much would the LVL cost?

Don't have any pics, I haven't been out there in quite some time. He called me last night looking for advice. A lot of the construction at his place is suspect I was concerned when he bought it although the price was cheap. If I remember correctly the stairs to his walkout basement have something like 10"-12" risers with 8"-9" treads

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

01-31-15, 06:12 AM   #4  
If it is a ridge beam, he may get by with a single LVL 11 1/2" (or however they are measured) placed directly under the ridge and supported on the ends, supplemental to the existing support for the ridge. Of course temporary support would be necessary until the LVL was positioned and supported. I would also use hurricane ties or mending plates to tie the two together once in place to keep warping down and also install collar ties from the LVL to the rafters. Even though they will be short, they will provide lateral support.

Search this Thread