Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing dividing wall and support post

WA

02-05-15, 08:30 AM   #1  
Removing dividing wall and support post

Hi all,

I own a 51 x 24' ranch and I want to remove a dividing wall and support post that separates my living room and kitchen. The beam runs through the center of the rooms. I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out the appropriate way to strengthen the beam (10x4) to carry the span (24 ft) after the post is removed. There is just a roof above, no second story. Also this is not the center point of the house. I can provide any necessary details. Thanks!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  32.2 KB
Views: 398
Size:  50.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-05-15, 08:42 AM   #2  
Do you know if the beam & wall were part of the original build? If you aren't sure, is there a way the you can see the 'attic' to see the structure?

WA

02-05-15, 08:49 AM   #3  
Yes part of original build and I do have access to the attic space but not to where this beam is. But I can see some other matching beams and the joist spacing etc.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

02-05-15, 08:59 AM   #4  
Is that beam all one piece from one end to the other? Are there any other posts, connected to that beam besides the post that goes to the half wall? Can you post some wide angled pics of the ends of the beam?

WA

02-05-15, 09:23 AM   #5  
I can see the beam that is equidistant from the center of house on the other side and that is made of two beams. It should be the same with this one, two 10x4 beams joining where the post is.

Views: 267
Size:  19.2 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  29.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  37.5 KB

WA

02-05-15, 09:27 AM   #6  
I assume there are posts in the walls at either end, but no there are no other exposed posts besides the half wall.

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

02-05-15, 10:02 AM   #7  
I doubt if this can be removed. Besides, you always need someone on site to check out the building. You should never remove a load bearing beam without approval from an engineer/architect, and a solution on how to replace it.
Based on your pictures, I can't even imagine where the beam is. I thing it's the one outlined in black in my picture. You can see I also drew in joists above, going towards outside wall. See if you can look in attic to verify joists rest on this beam as I drew them. The way I drew it would be a typical bearing beam.

Name:  beamplan.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  42.8 KB

Brian
Cal Contractor

WA

02-05-15, 12:14 PM   #8  
I had an architect check it out and give me a proposal that will end up costing me over $1000 just for the knowledge of what to do here. He seemed to think building up the beam would suffice. I just need to know what size and how many LVLs etc. Yes the beam is the black that you added, so I guess based on the pictures you could imagine where it is. Here is a picture inside the attic of the beam equidistant on the other side which will be the same as the one I want to build up or replace.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  40.8 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

02-05-15, 02:38 PM   #9  
I'd recommend you get the architect. Based on the floor plan you posted, I don't see conventional load bearing walls. It's hard enough to replace conventional walls. Combine that with the low-pitched roof and you have work to do.

Brian
Cal Contractor

WA

02-05-15, 04:58 PM   #10  
Thanks Handyone, appreciate the advice, I'm thinking you're right on needing the architect. Is it commonplace for a local lumber yard to spec something like this out?

Forum Topic Moderator

CAL

02-05-15, 05:14 PM   #11  
No. The lumber yard cannot advise on beam sizes, support or placement. There are lumber yards that build trusses, they can advise on those and provide engineered drawings that (any) city would accept. You would still need an architect and completely remove and replace roof.

Brian
Cal Contractor

WA

02-05-15, 05:31 PM   #12  
This job definitely needs a building permit and no jurisdiction will issue a permit for this kind of job without a stamped (meaning official) set of drawings from a professional architect or structural engineer. Either hire the architect or give up the idea.

Search this Thread