Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Laminate Floor Pulling Apart

CT

03-19-15, 12:05 PM   #1  
Laminate Floor Pulling Apart

I'm noticing a problem in a laminate floor that was installed about 2 years ago in my house. In certain areas of the house the flooring appears to be separating and pulling apart - specifically around where the two pieces of my modular house joined together.

The house itself is a modular home that was built on a poured concrete foundation built in 1999. The laminate floor was added in 2013 on top of a linoleum floor. I suspect that the workmanship of the floor install wasn't exactly the greatest so is it possible that this is just normal settling and breakdown of the the floor, or is it possible that my house is going to collapse in on itself in the near future? I find it hard to believe that suddenly after 15 years the house would develop structural problems, but I can't ignore that there is some differences in my floor over the past 2 years.

Sponsored Links

VA

03-19-15, 12:37 PM   #2  
Post a picture.
Could be several several things.
Did they run the flooring through an opening without a transition strip?
Is the flooring still laying flat?
Was there always a tiny gap showing in that area before it came apart?
Was there any underlayment laid down over the subflooring?
Stepped on the flooring to see if it's rocking, as if some things moved under the flooring?

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-19-15, 01:40 PM   #3  
Welcome to the world or laminate A few reasons for that phenomenon. Laminate was captured on the edges by molding or nails, or both, not allowing it to move. Heavy items on top of the laminate like a pool table preventing movement. The two modular halves are unequally moving at the point of marriage. Sometimes the two halves will move at opposite directions causing cracks in sheetrock and in flooring.

Search this Thread