Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

archway ugly

IN

03-28-15, 11:37 PM   #1  
archway ugly

i have an archway between my dining room and living room that's 9.5 feet wide. there are two 4x4 post on each side coming in about two feet. i would like to remove these as i think they were added to look like columns and not for support. i have checked and there is a 10 in. beam spanning the full width of the opening. it is a load bearing wall as the ceiling rafters and the floor joist end after crossing the wall. there are 1x6's at the top and bottom of the post the bottom one is on top of the flooring and the top ones are on top of the plaster. the house was built in 1924. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-29-15, 02:02 AM   #2  
If you are sure that the columns were added & aren't part of the support, you can remove it. At the same time, we can't see it. Maybe some pics would help but it's still could be hard to tell. Another idea is have someone else look at it.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

03-29-15, 03:47 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums!

What supports the 10" header? As Pulpo said if the 4x4 post don't support the header they can be removed. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread