Party Wall between foundation and flooring gap

Old 03-29-15, 06:19 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Party Wall between foundation and flooring gap

I've been trying to limit the noise in a twin home I own from the other connected home. It is particularly base in my downstairs living room near the stairs. I went into my basement and noticed that there is about a foot gap between the foundation and the flooring. I started to pull the insulation from the party wall out that was in that gap, and I shined a flashlight up in the gap to the other side. I snapped a picture and realized that here is no real physical barrier between my unit and the unit next door in that gap. The home was built in 1900 and I would assume that this is a common issue.

My question is, should I be filling that gap with something more than just insulation? My idea was to cut and fit 2x4's or something of that thickness into the gap and pound it to fit between the joists with a hammer. Would this be a good solution? Here is a picture for reference, you can actually see into their basement.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  34.4 KB

Old 03-29-15, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
This is a house that you converted to two family ?
Is it a house registered with the town as multifamily ?

Normally, there should be a complete fire rated barrier between units. An inspection would have picked this up. There should be no openings between the units.

Old 03-29-15, 08:38 PM
D
It was originally built this way- I live in a historic area and it is a common style home. I don't know if you saw it but the house was built in 1900 and I don't think those types of regulations were in place. I do have dense pack cellulose insulation in the party wall which I was told helps increase the fire rating. It's a twin home, or single family attached home. The property is zoned by itself and always has been.

Old 03-29-15, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
No those regulations were not in place back then but usually when a house gets converted to two family for rental purposes.... changes and inspections are made.

Do you have 120v/battery back up smoke detectors in both sides ?

Old 03-29-15, 10:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the rooms are large enough to loose 6" you might consider building a freestanding fire wall an inch from the existing wall all the way to the roof.

Old 03-29-15, 11:31 PM
D
I only own the one side... Same thing as if you were to buy a townhouse, it's attached to another home but you don't own the other property. Completely separate homes, have smoke detectors on my side and I'm sure my neighbor does too. I don't have the room to take away 6 inches of wall space unfortunately.

I'm really just looking for sound deadening in that specific area. Do you guys think that putting some sort of wood block or barrier would stop some of the sound transfer? I believe other spots in the area are blocked off.

Old 03-30-15, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Insulation does a better job of limiting sound transmission that wood.
While a fire wall is best [and could be an insurance requirement],depending on when the house was converted to 2 units along with local code enforcement may mean that the 2 units were separated legally at the time and should be grandfathered in.

Old 03-30-15, 07:01 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Adding wood will increase the sound transfer by conduction. You need to add Roxul Safe and Sound insulation or something similar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: