Support anchors in side of joist

Old 04-27-15, 12:30 PM
Support anchors in side of joist

I'm mounting a projector in a suspended ceiling. And I know I'm overthinking things, because the projector is about 6 lbs., and by the time we add all the mounting hardware, it's at most ten.

But the problem is that there's only about three inches clearance between the bottom of the joists and the top of the rails for the ceiling. The mounting adapter is 2 feet long, designed to rest on top of the ceiling rails, and about 8 inches wide. The instructions call for support cables from all four corners of the adapter to eye hooks in the bottom of the joists, running at a 15 degree angle from the vertical.

With that little clearance, there's no way we're getting a 15 degree angle. The cables would run nearly horizontally.

So the question is whether we could just put the eye hooks into the sides of the joists, and if so, should we use the screw-in eye hooks that came with the adapter, or get eye bolts and drill all the way through, secured with lock washer and nuts.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-15, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For 10 lbs, you will be fine fastening the hooks into the side of the joist as long as they are at least 1" long. I have the horrible feeling they are cup hook type things, and would be woefully inadequate for hanging anything with weight. The reason for the 15 degree angle is to cut down on sway. If your cables run vertically, you will have a tendency of movement.

Old 04-27-15, 02:24 PM
Thanks. They're pretty solid 2 inch long eye hooks.

Old 04-27-15, 02:31 PM
You'll be fine. I'd just try to stagger the support wires a little for that sway control if you can.

Old 04-27-15, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't expect routine sway to be much problem. The ends of the adapter hook over the rails, so by itself it seems reasonably stable. The projector will hang on a mount via a 1 1/2" NPT tube that will go through a hole cut in the ceiling tile to the adapter above the tile. The adapter will be close to flush against the tile.

Old 04-27-15, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a plan....now, popcorn