Attic Support

Old 04-30-15, 01:50 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attic Support

I have a 2-story 3000sq ft home with an attic. In the attic I see two vertical joists holding up the roof. How do I tell if that is sufficient to support the roof.

Thanks,

Doug

Name:  attic.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  34.8 KB

Old 04-30-15, 02:02 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The attic floor is supported by load bearing walls from below. The roof rafters form a self supporting triangle. The two vertical supports are simply taking up some of the settling load to keep the roof line as straight as possible, but not required for actual strength. Having said that I wouldn't remove them without careful consideration. For disclosure, I am not an engineer and the above is just my opinion.

Bud

Old 04-30-15, 03:07 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't want to remove the joists but add more support if needed.

Old 04-30-15, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Those vertical struts were probably put there to temporarily support the ridge beam in mid-air while the roof was originally being framed. If there is not a load bearing wall beneath them, they are doing next to nothing for the strength of the roof.

This is a great example of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Nothing additional is needed if there is no problem with the roof.

If the roof was going to be "beefed up" in any way, I would recommend horizontal collar ties in the upper 1/3" to strengthen the rafters.

Old 05-01-15, 07:53 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
And it wouldn't hurt a bit to refine the insulation batt placement a bit. Not doing much good when it's piled up in a haphazard manner like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: