Ok to remove stud in bathroom remodel?

Old 05-08-15, 08:48 AM
Ok to remove stud in bathroom remodel?

Due to a shower that's had enough, we are needing to remodel our bathroom. Our plan requires that we remove a stud in the wall that now separates our current shower from a closet. I am attaching a diagram of the entire house structure involved on this side, for reference. I would like to know if removing one stud in the wall indicated in red would be ok. It seems like it would be to me, but I'd like as many opinions as possible. Thanks!Name:  Cross section of house structure.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  31.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-15, 09:02 AM
Temporarily Suspended
The drop ceiling is probably there to cover pipes. The stud isn't supporting anything except maybe dry wall. If you have to hang new drywall, what will be used as a nailer, if there are no studs? A real pic might be better than a diagram.

Old 05-08-15, 10:03 AM
Nothing to take pictures of yet

I haven't removed the dry wall in that area yet, so there's not much to take a picture of. But here is a picture taken of the area... the shower on the left and the closet on the right. We're planning to relocate the shower to where the current tub is. The location of the current shower opening will be converted to the closet door and we will cover up the existing closet door. That means we need to create an opening in the wall between the shower and the closet. The end result is a bigger closet.

Remaining framing will be intact for drywall. I'm actually not wanting to remove the entire wall because of what I have planned for configuring the additional storage space... but am opening to removing the entire wall if need be.

Does this make things more clear? Thank you!Name:  P1170925.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  20.1 KB

Old 05-08-15, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is giving me pause is the bath tub directly over that area. So, it may not be load bearing in the sense of the whole house, but is can be load bearing with regards to the tub. That said, look to frame the opening with some form of header that will carry that wieght and still provide you with a large enough opening in a walk in closet. Your wife will never notice the arch if it is incorporated into the design of the closet organizer that makes logical sense.

Reminder, that the bath tub drain is 1 1/2" and the shower need a 2" drain, so some re-piping is in order. Good luck and check back if you have questions.

Old 05-08-15, 03:35 PM
Wink

That tub was exactly the source of my concern, too. So thanks for the header suggestion. I was thinking an open doorway type of solution would be fine for that wall, anyway, as opposed to removing it all the way to the ceiling, etc. And, oh, I AM the wife.

Old 05-08-15, 03:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
....Note to self, read user name before inserting foot in mouth My apologies madam for assuming that the "man" of the house was asking framing questions. Sure by chance you aren't Al? last name Isonmadey? From the Dallas Isonmadrey's..... LOL

Anyway, the sides of that arch wall would be an awesome place to add pegs to hang your belts, scarfs or other accessories.

Old 05-08-15, 05:18 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, it made everything a lot clearer. A header is the answer as czizzi already mentioned. How high is the ceiling in the bathroom where the work is to be done? When weight is involved, I like to build a temporary support before I remove the existing wall. You probably don't need it. I thought that I would mention it anyway.

Old 05-08-15, 06:35 PM
No need to taste your shoe leather, czizzi. I'm a second generation of my type so ever since I helped my mom rip out her kitchen cabinets, I've been hooked.

Pulpo, the wall that separates the shower from the closet is 9 feet tall, and that's the one that I want to take a stud out. The perpendicular wall, the really tall one, is 2-3 feet taller than that, with a cathedral ceiling going to 14 feet. But the one I want to mess with is the one inside the shower, the one you can just make out behind the glass. So by temporary support, you mean until I can get a header put in? Again, I'm not removing any complete wall, just one stud in that wall between the shower and the closet.

Old 05-08-15, 08:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Ok, go for it. Wear a hard hat anyway.