Gap under bedroom door

Old 06-03-15, 07:46 PM
Gap under bedroom door

Hi All,

My fiancÚ and I bought a new home last year and recently I noticed a sloping gap under the door in one of our bedrooms. It seems like the subfloor might be slightly uneven. See the below picture. At this point I'm mostly looking to just fix the appearance. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on where I could start? Maybe add a shim to the bottom of the door? Or would this be something I'd need to call some outside help for? Thanks!

Name:  IMG_0161.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  20.6 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-15, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
The question should be, is the TOP of the door straight and level? (and are the hinges plumb... usually both should be true) If it is, that's really all that matters. It would indicate the floor is out of level and you can't fix that. You could cut the bottom of the door to match the floor, but that would only look good while the door is closed. Open the door and see if the gap is any different... I'm betting it will look straight when the door is open.

Old 06-03-15, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys.

XSleeper - you were right :/ When I opened the door the problem disappeared, which means the floor is likely not level in that spot. I'm assuming the fix for that would require pulling up the carpet and cutting out the subfloor? Any idea what something likely that would cost to repair? I have a feeling it won't be worth it and that I should probably just live with this as is...

Old 06-03-15, 08:57 PM
#1, There needs to be a gap under the door for air flow and so the exhost fan can get make up air.
Looks like an old house, looked under the floor to see what's causing the floor to be out of level?

Old 06-03-15, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, if the floor is out of level it is most likely a structural defect that is not easily corrected. Probably started with an out of level concrete pad, and they just built right off it, thinking "it is what it is."

Old 06-04-15, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
If the tapered gap really bothers you I would consider how the door spends most of it's time and trim the bottom to be parallel to the floor in that position. Otherwise chalk it up to the knowledge that no house is perfect.