Replacing a 100" sill plate

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-06-15, 07:46 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 16
Replacing a 100" sill plate

I recently discovered a 8' 4" section of rotted sill plate in my basement - thanks previous owner. This plate runs parallel to the floor joists above. This would have been impossible for an inspector to find unless they pulled the drywall like I did.

I have already gutted the basement to studs for a planned rehab.

My plans are as follows, let me know if I am insane.
- support existing structure with a temp wall thus releasing the load on the plate.
- cut the steel pins embedded in poured concrete that are penetrating the existing sill plate.
- cut the nails attaching the studs to the plate.
- remove existing plate.
- install replacement plate.
- drill through the plate into the concrete, insert concrete anchors locking plate in place.
- remove temp wall thus loading the sill plate.
- nail studs to new plate.

Enjoy a beer.

Sound reasonable?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-06-15, 07:58 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 20,503
Since it is parallel to the joists, there should be less load on it than the adjacent walls... so that's a plus. No need to build a temporary wall... Personally, I would probably lag a 2x12 (cut to the exact length you need) onto the studs, up a few feet above the floor, just to keep it out of the way. Put 2 bottle jacks on the floor on each end and use a couple 4x4's (lagged to the studs they are in front of) under the 2x12 to take the weight off the studs. I also probably would not try and replace the sill plate as one piece... 2 pieces would be much easier to slip in behind the jacks, and bolts are quite easy to add.

And definitely enjoy more than one beer when ur done.
 
  #3  
Old 07-08-15, 03:53 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: usa
Posts: 466
And don't forget to find out why ( and rectify) the reason the plate decayed.
 
  #4  
Old 07-12-15, 07:21 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 16
Thumbs up

Job complete and pretty much a breeze. I installed an adjustable floor jack post to take some of the load if needed.

Cut the steel rods penetrating the existing plate, cut all the nails and it slid out with ease. The old board was completely rotted away.

The post came into play when installing the new plate since it was full thickness and not rotted like the predecessor. A few twists in the jack and the adjustment was made. I slid in the new plate, drilled two 1/2" holes through the sill into the concrete and drove in two anchors. Nailed the studs back in place and done.

Where the sheathing was nailed to the sill was also rotted but there is nothing to do there until I replace the siding in the near future. In those areas I pumped in a bit of foam sealer then another 2x4 on top of the sill to button everything together. That should hold for a few months.

As for why it rotted in the first place:
The previous owner, and original owner at that, piled dirt against the house higher than the foundation walls, this held dirt and moisture against the sill for some 50 or so years.

I knew there was some rot in this area when I bought the place so I'm not all that upset about it. Issues like these are also by I was about to buy it about 50k below market.

As this point I have exposed all sills on the entire house and had to replace this and one other piece. Now I can button up the walls and not think about it for the rest of my life.
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes