Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

balloon architecture structure

NJ

07-17-15, 08:05 AM   #1  
balloon architecture structure

From what I have read, i dont think that these structures have bottom plates and they do not have headers or true headers because the loads are on the perimeter of the home and any structural beam in the center? Is that correct?

I am opening a closet from 30 inches to 60 inches, in which the joists run parallel to the closet. There are no jack studs by the door, and the header is just a 2 x 4.

I looked further into the wall and saw that the king studs are just nailed into the subfloor. I dont know if I need to add a bottom plate and not sure if I need a header. I did post about cutting plaster in another forum, but now this is about framing and figured this was the better area to try to get feedback and also some understanding about my structure.

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-18-15, 04:42 AM   #2  
This forum is fine. You should have a bottom plate running on your floor. Expanding to a 5' wide opening, you will need a header. You can make it out of double 2x6's and a sandwich of 1/2" plywood between them. Pictures of what you are doing would help us give better advice. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread