Subfloor Options for Basement Home Gym

Old 07-30-15, 12:53 PM
Subfloor Options for Basement Home Gym

I have been looking for an answer to this question and can't find any information on what I need.

I'm going to be finishing my basement, and half of it will be a home gym. Half of the home gym space will be for weights, and the other half for boxing/stretching/etc.

I will also be building a weight lifting platform with plywood to go on top of horse stall mats which will make up the gym flooring.

Now to my question. What kind of subfloor is best to both protect the concrete slab from heavy lifting and weight dropping, and make it easy to just install a laminate/hardwood/tile floor in the future if I choose so?

I've read that rigid foam + plywood can get soft spots in it if you drop weights over it. Also, dricore seems to be too expensive and not worth the cost for benefits. I'm not really sure what to think of Barricuda or Delta FL. Any ideas what the best possible options are?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-15, 01:42 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Do you do that much power lifting where you would drop a 300 lb barbell, on a regular basis? If you use plywood as a sub floor, do you plan to fasten it to the concrete?

Old 07-30-15, 01:49 PM
Thanks for taking the time Pulpo. I deadlift in the 405-435 range which will be gently dropped on a regular basis, but you never know when your grip might go. I might drop a bar when power cleaning (200-250lbs) from 5ft up, 7ft if I fully extend up in a press.

I will be doing this on the platform I am building, but I just want to make sure that if I ever do lift off of the platform I won't destroy my floor. Also, if someone else is at my place lifting without me I don't want a stupid accident to cost me days of repair.

I'm not opposed to fastening plywood to the floor, I just want it to be a strong subfloor.

Old 07-30-15, 02:19 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you eventually want to install a hardwood floor over the plywood, it would have to be fastened to the concrete. However, I think that a double 3/4" rigid foam floor without the plywood would absorb the blow of the falling weights.

Old 07-30-15, 05:24 PM
Don't you think the foam will compress too much? Typically gym floors aren't supposed to give at all from what I've experienced

Old 07-30-15, 05:34 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Take a look at the 3/4" mat at:

3/4 inch Extreme Mats - Rubber Gym Matting