Dining room column removal help

Old 08-16-15, 09:45 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dining room column removal help

I am wanting to remove these two columns from the dining room/ living room area of our new home to open up the space. They are not load bearing, but rather for looks. Any ideas on the cheapest and least time consuming way to go about this? Specifically ideas on what to do with the sheet rock above the columns once they are gone. I was thinking about just adding sheet rock to the middle section of arches after to columns are gone to square it off rather than ripping it all down and having to do ceiling repair and stipple matching as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Images    
Old 08-16-15, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the forums!

It's your call. My opinion is removing columns and squaring off the arches would not look good. With the columns intact, the arches belong above. Without columns, there is no reason to have any arches or squared off arches above and they'll stick out.

Looks like a very nice house and I would just remove everything and retexture ceiling.

Patching just the damaged area almost never works. Entire ceiling would need redone.

Also consider the floor. Hopefully the posts are sitting on the finished floor.

Last edited by Handyone; 08-16-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-16-15, 11:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Those types of columns are generally installed after the drywall work is done but often before the floor is finished. I agree that if they are removed the framework and drywall above it needs to go to .... which means patching in new drywall and either trying to finish it to blend or retexturing the whole ceiling.

Personally I'd probably leave them but if your set on removal - consider everything that might be entailed!

Old 08-16-15, 07:41 PM
P
Thank you guys for the responses. The reason for wanting them gone is that they split up an otherwise great living room space. In fact they seem to be perfectly positioned where most would put a couch or recliner. We do have extra flooring the previous owners left, but the ceiling job makes it almost not worth it. I agree it should probably all be taken down if it's going to be done though.

Old 08-17-15, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
What type of flooring is it? I was assuming site finished hardwood but if it's laminate the odds are it isn't under the columns. Removing one piece of the shoe mold from the base of the column should tell you a lot.

Old 08-17-15, 05:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It looks as if someone's "designer" had carte blanche on this job. Nice appointments, beautiful columns, an overall good job. Just in the way Probably added $5 to $7k to the initial construction costs, or more.

I agree with the others. Either it stays, or it all has to go away. The ceiling repairs can be made rather easily, but, like Marksr, the flooring will be the nemesis. Is it hardwood or laminate?

Old 08-17-15, 05:34 PM
P
Yes the designer may have lacked a little common sense in deciding how far out into the living area to place these. The flooring is laminate. I fully expect it does not go underneath the columns. I can patch in the laminate much more quickly than re stippling and painting the whole ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: