Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Missing tile under cabinet...how to fill bumpy floor?

09-01-15, 01:24 PM   #1  
Missing tile under cabinet...how to fill bumpy floor?

Hi, Im trying to install a new kitchen on my new home. I got rid of all the old cabinets, problem is the floor has no tiling where the old cabinets where sitting. My new layout is different than the old one so I need a way to fullfill this space.
I was told I could retile the spaces or attach plywood to the floor. im leaning towards using plywood. problem is one of the empty patches has a bumpy surface. how can i fix that?
will soemthing like this help me (DAP 32-oz Flexible Floor Patch and Leveler)? is there a compount or something that can be used to fill the empty space?
DAP 32-oz Flexible Floor Patch and Leveler

I'm trying to find what would be best and easiest solution based on my limited skills. thanks

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  24.7 KB
Name:  photo 6.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  18.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-01-15, 01:26 PM   #2  
Not sure I understand, if the new cabinets are configured differently won't you have bare spots showing that would need tile? otherwise plywood is fine to bring the flooring level. Can't you scrape off the bumps?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

09-01-15, 02:42 PM   #3  
yes, excatly! that's what I'm trying to do. I want to fill those empty spaces with no tile. problem is one has big bumps all over the place if I put plywood on top it will still be unleveled. can i use something like DAP 32-oz Flexible Floor Patch and Leveler on that empty space to level the floor? or do I need to buy something to sand the concrete?!
also, in the areas where plywood is possible to use...what is teh best way to attach plywood to the concrete floor?

thanks a lot

NY

09-01-15, 03:57 PM   #4  
As Marksr said just sand down the bumps then add the plywood or tile. Yes you can use a floor leveler but it seems unnecessary.

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-01-15, 04:03 PM   #5  
You don't add plywood to a concrete floor.

Look into self leveling compound. You will need to prime the concrete with self leveling primer first. Then continue on with you project, no scraping needed. Do you need assistance with any other aspects of the build?

CANADA

09-01-15, 04:29 PM   #6  
I just opened your thread and felt compelled to add my 2 cents worth.

I own my home and attempt only the most basic projects myself - meaning I paint walls and repair trim and baseboard, but leave things like the bathroom reno and window replacements to professionals.

That said, my opinion is that plywood would look like crap and would make future repair more difficult. I have tiled twice - once in my front entry and once around the top of the tub surround - and it was EASY. I urge you to look into whether you are able to find an approximate match to your existing grout and tile, and then consider proceeding with tiling if you find an approximate match. The cost of repairing those small areas would be small - less than $100, in my opinion, including the cost of tools. My local tile store lends me a tile cutter for free (another easy to use tool), so perhaps you could inquire about that. Any chance extra tiles from when the floor was originally tiled were left in a corner of the garage?

In short, repairing the tile would not necessarily offer a seamless match, but it would likely be a better finish than plywood. You Tube and experts in my local tile store made me confident that I could accomplish this task - and I am very pleased with the results.

NY

09-01-15, 06:21 PM   #7  
Czizzi is correct, plywood is not the thing. I forgot that you had a slab to work on. If you can't sand (grind) down the bumps then floor leveler is fine. Since it will be hidden, tiling is not necessary but as NWgraham said above it's not hard and will be inexpensive.

09-02-15, 06:06 AM   #8  
thanks for the comments guys, like i said, those empty tile-less areas will be below the new cabinets so i think tiling over wont be really necessary. Ill get self leveling primer + self leveling compount

Search this Thread