sill plate and foundation

Old 09-03-15, 09:22 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sill plate and foundation

Hi there everyone
I am in the process of building a house for my family. Recently, i have just finished the concrete pouring form and rebar work.(haven't poured the concrete yet) The foundation's width is 8 inch, where the 2" x 6" sill plate will be sat on. The sill plate placement would be 6 to 8 inch above the ground.

long story short........i am supposed to place the sill plate flush with the exterior side of the foundation. But instead, my city inspector wants me to put the sill plate flush with the interior side of the foundation.

As you can see, if i put the sill plate flush with the interior side of the concrete foundation, my finished exterior wall would be sitting on the foundation.Where i live rains 40% of the time. To prevent water seepage and mold problem around the sill plate in the future, i would need to do a really good work on the foundation flashing.(especially the corners and door entrance area)

My question is......i want the house lasts as long as it could, should i worry about the water seepage problem if i put my sill plate flush with the interior side of the foundation?

Thank you

Old 09-03-15, 09:28 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It might be a stupid question but can't you use a 2x8?

Old 09-03-15, 11:49 PM
D
Hi Pulpo
The problem is i can not exceed the building boundary. so, i either shrink the concrete form or put the sill plate flush with interior side of the foundation.

Old 09-04-15, 07:20 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
@diyintj "The problem is i can not exceed the building boundary." Not sure what you are saying here, is the foundation too close to something.

I need to know why he is suggesting this as it is not a normal building practice.

Bud

Old 09-04-15, 09:18 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Sill Plate

With the rim joist on top of the sill plate, you will have very little space to land the floor joists. I would use 2x8's for the sill plate.(treated of course)

Old 09-05-15, 02:19 AM
D
Hi Bud,
what i meant by building boundary is the maximum area your building can occupy in your own land. So, my two options right now is to reduce the foundation form 2.5 inch each size or put the sill plate flush with the interior size of the foundation.

Hi Wirepuller
Thank you for your heads up

Old 09-05-15, 03:16 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Since it is a maximum area problem, can you reduce one dimension as opposed to shrinking the entire foundation. Or, is there any land available where you could buy a small piece.

IMO, putting the sill plate to the interior is not a good option, however, if you created a slope from 8" to 5.5" at the top. maintaining the flush inside it would reduce the rain issue and make flashing easier.

Bud

Old 09-05-15, 03:21 AM
D
Hi bud
thank you for your reply.
yah my framer advised me to do around the entrance area.

Old 09-05-15, 05:44 AM
K
You must have some hard as* inspectors to enforce a difference of 5". I dont understand what difference putting the sill plate on the inside of the wall will make since your foundation will still be taking up the same amount of area, not to mention the roof overhang.

Old 09-05-15, 06:01 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Weren't the plans approved before the work began? That's the way that it's done here. I never heard of draw as you go.

Old 09-05-15, 06:34 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Foundation

What are we missing here?
Why is the inspector nit-picking over a few inches?
Does the foundation touch the property line?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: