Water damaged jack studs in old shower entry

Old 09-06-15, 08:49 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water damaged jack studs in old shower entry

I am converting an old shower into a closet, and the jack studs on both sides of the doorway are water damaged. I don't see any actual rot, but just a moldy appearance with some minor cracking. I had assumed they should be replaced, but my husband described them to someone who responded that they should be fine. (I don't know the credentials of that person, but he is in the building industry.)

Some of the light colored residue is from the mud that was used to build the shower.

I wanted to pose the question here about what to do. Pictures are attached. Thanks!Name:  P1180949s.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  28.1 KBName:  P1180947s.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  22.3 KB

Old 09-06-15, 10:08 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Discoloration means nothing other that "hey-check me out". Poke it with a screw driver. If the wood is soft then it should be replaced. If solid, move on - they are fine.

Old 09-06-15, 11:09 AM
A
Slightly soft on the surface... it's not like the screwdriver just slipped into the wood, but a flathead made more of an impression in the darkened parts than in the upper portion where there was no discoloration. Easier to poke, but somewhat firm. When I testing what it would be like to chisel a bit off the surface, it still seemed pretty tough, even though not as much so as the upper parts.

Last edited by alisonmadrey; 09-06-15 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-07-15, 02:20 PM
A
I just wanted to make sure it was understood that this was still a question, based on what I discovered and shared in my last post. I wasn't sure if what I am dealing with is soft enough to warrant replacement or not. And if not, then I'd be curious if there is any treatment I should apply to the studs to ensure mold doesn't grow.

Thanks!

Old 09-07-15, 02:42 PM
It is a double stud most likely and therefore not structural in context of holding the wall up. The adjacent would carry the load if that is the case. The retro fit into a closet means that it would now have to support a door jamb of either a hinged door, a by-pass or a bi-fold door. None of which require any sizable structural needs. If you are installing a header (best practices) then most likely the studs would be removed to make room for a header and then reinstalled. Also, you most likely would have to adjust the opening size anyway to accommodate whatever door/header you are installing. Given all that, just replace and have peace of mind and reframe to fit the door you are going to use.

Old 09-07-15, 03:15 PM
A
Thanks for the reply...

The thing is, though, the opening is already constructed exactly like a regular doorway - same size and with header. So there would not be any change to have to make otherwise.

That being said, would it be best to go ahead and replace anyway, given the very slight softness of the outer layer?

It would be nice to have two reasons to do so, but I'm looking at only having one possible reason...

Old 09-07-15, 03:53 PM
Reason #2

2x4 stud at the box stores are only $3.50 each. Splurge on me and by a couple. It sounds like you will sleep better tonight changing it out.

Old 09-07-15, 04:20 PM
A
Sounds good enough to me!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: