Basement Joist Hanger - take two

Old 09-15-15, 01:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Joist Hanger - take two

In my ongoing struggle to fix my sagging floors, I am working on an area where a previous owner removed a basement stairwell but never put anything in to support the floor after.

I have a joist that is pulling away from a ledger (correct term?) and sagging. I purchased a rough 2x6 hanger based on measurements on another joist, but discovered yesterday that this joist is actually 1.75 x 3.75. What is my best option for this?

I cannot use a standard 2x4 hanger, since it would be too narrow. I cannot really use a rough 2x4 with a 1/4" filler, since it is too long for the joist.

Could I use a rough 2x4 hanger with a 1/4" filler scrap and cut off some of the hanger? Could I keep the hanger intact and use an additional 1/4" filler between the bottom of the joist and the bottom of the bracket? Is there another better option?

Old 09-15-15, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think you are trying to fill up the hanger. The purpose of the hanger is to give vertical support. Don't worry if the board isn't wide enough to fill it up. Make sure you use properly sized nails for the hangers. You can also shave off the last 1 1/2" of the rough lumber to where it will fit into the hanger with no foul. Again vertical.

Old 09-15-15, 02:42 PM
M
Chandler,

Your final statement does not make sense to me. I'll assume it's because I didn't explain very well, so I'll try again. And I apologize for any phrasing I use that is either incorrect or condescending; I mean neither.

I have a partial joist spanning from one edge of where stairs used to be to the outside edge of the house in the basement. Not from the edge to the center beam, but some other joist hanging perpendicular to most other joists. The part that is sagging should be connected to the framing at the perimeter of the basement.

In thinking of the bracket as a "U", the joist is too narrow to fit snugly between the sides. You have said that is all right, so I will take it as such. The joist is likewise too short (narrow?) up and down to fit the bracket. In order for the joist to rest in the bottom of the "U", I'd either have to cut 1 1/2" off the bracket so that it can hold the joist against the upper subfloor, or else wedge a 1 1/2" piece of lumber between the bottom of the joist and the bracket in order to press it against the subfloor. The point of this project is to support the floor in that area that is sagging due to the joist no longer holding it up.

Since you mentioned it; what size nails? Or does that answer depend on what exactly I have and I should check the website?

Thanks

Old 09-15-15, 04:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,645 Upvotes on 1,473 Posts
How can a rough 2x4 hanger possibly be too long for your 1.75"x3.75" joist? And why are they so small in the first place? I would probably shim it on one side where it gets toenailed just to keep the hanger from deflecting.

Old 09-15-15, 04:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And, as always, pictures help us see what you readily see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-16-15, 09:31 AM
M
You assume I use my computer at home, or even remember to take picture while I'm there. :-)

I'll try to remember to take a photo when I'm home.

XSleeper; Maybe too long is an incorrect statement. How's too tall sound?

I think, but do not know, that this was a much smaller joist put in just to secure the flooring in a 3' x 3' section in the stairwell. The joists that go from the perimeter to the main beam are rough 2x8 (maybe 2x10).

Old 09-16-15, 12:21 PM
M
Ok, I have photos now.

Name:  Far back.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  26.7 KB

This joist is coming away from the wall and sagging on the right. It exits to the left and then runs along side a rough 2x8. This issue for this topic is the fact that it is coming away on the right and I need to support that side. The yellow section is where there is just space between the joist and wall (held up by a single nail). The red area in where this passes over another beam on its way to the main beam running along the center of the basement. There are no issues with it once it passes that area.

Name:  Floor Space.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  24.3 KB

Here you can see how much that joist has fallen and how much space is between it and the floor (and the floor with where the floor should be). I need to raise that joist and secure it to the perimeter of the house so that the floor is pressed up to where is is supposed to be.

Name:  Bracket.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  20.7 KB
This is the hanger that I have. It is a full 2 inches by 6 inches. Of course, 6 inches is too much since the joist is exactly 3.75 inches. I could cut it down. I could also get a true 2x4 hanger, but that would also need to be cut down by 1/4 inch in order to hold the joist to the bottom of where the floor should be. I cannot just get a "modern" 2x4 hanger because those are only 1.5" across and I need 1.75. The yellow area is that space and the green area is the space between where the flooring is and where it should be.

Also, please note that there is no hole creating a good toenail angle. The holes either go 90 degrees into the joist or 90 degrees the other way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: