Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No framing for shower door

09-15-15, 07:04 PM   #1  
No framing for shower door

So, some genius (me) forgot to put in framing for a shower door in this nice shower I have now since tiled. The left side stud is at the end of the tiling...not where the shower threshold is.

Any ideas for how to install the door? The shower is 42" wide. I was planning on putting a side light on the left (where there is no stud). The other corner is an outside corner and is properly framed. Name:  shower.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  35.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

09-15-15, 09:21 PM   #2  
I would probably use a shower curtain.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-16-15, 03:22 AM   #3  
What is on the other side of the wall? could you open it up and add framing?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

09-16-15, 03:47 AM   #4  
Do you have a link to the door you are using? Is is heavy glass frameless, or a semi framed unit. If a framed unit, there will be a metal bar that goes across the header from one wall to the other. That frame will support the door from sagging. If you planned on frameless heavy glass, you may want to reconsider.

09-16-15, 07:27 PM   #5  
Thanks for the thoughts.

I was originally thinking this door or something like this door.

DreamLine Unidoor 40 to 41 in. x 72 in. Semi-Framed Hinged Shower Door in Chrome-SHDR-20407210S-01 - The Home Depot

But perhaps a framed door can be installed as czizzi suggests. Maybe something like this? The installation instructions call for only 1.5 inch screws and anchors. So I guess it may work.

Coastal Shower Doors Legend Series 40 in. x 69 in. Framed Hinge Shower Door with Inline Panel in Brushed Nickel with Clear Glass-L24IL16.69N-C - The Home Depot

Unfortunately, marksr, it is against a cinder block wall that is the exterior of the house...I thought about trying to anchor into that. But between 1" of hardi board and tile + 3.5 of stud + 1" of foam + a small gap since the cinder wall wasn't plumb...felt like too far to try to anchor.

Search this Thread