Garage support beam crack.

Old 09-21-15, 12:48 PM
Garage support beam crack.

Hello Everyone,

Could any one please give us your opinion ? Our garage beam support is crack about 3/4 of its length, the beam still look straight and no bending, the length of the beam is 3 feet wide, 11 feet height, and about 30 feet long. I'm wondering if we need to replace the beam or what should we do to help fix the problem.

We are thinking the beam is crack due to old age ( the beam probably is about 32 years old) and due to weather. Oh, there is a room on top of our garage also but we don't think the beam is crack due to support heavy load.

Thanks so much for your time and help,

Rose

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 03:52 PM
Hi everyone, i just want to update the dimension , the width = 3 inches, height = 11 inches , length = 12-15 feet long.

Old 09-21-15, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! What does this wood hold up? A cantilevered part of your house? It is in an odd place considering the overhang between it and the door beam. Once we know what it is holding up we can answer better. It is not holding your garage up as it is parallel to your trusses, so something else is there. It is highly possible you can just bolt 2x12 along one side, bolted in a w pattern. We'll wait on the information.

Old 09-22-15, 09:59 AM
Name:  garage1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  33.7 KBName:  garage2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  34.3 KBName:  garage3.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  33.3 KBName:  garage4.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  46.0 KBName:  garage5.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  29.2 KBHello Chandler,

Thanks so much for your help . I'm not sure what this wood hold up, but it just seems on top of the beam it's just the roof of the garage , but there it might also holding up the 2 rooms above . I've also attached more pictures of the house so you can see the layout of the house.

Thank you again for all your help.

Old 09-24-15, 10:27 AM
Hello Chandler,

I check and the beam does have crack on both side, the crack on the front is only about 1/4 length of the beam, and the crack on the back is about the entire length.