Screw types for metal stud framing?


Old 10-10-15, 08:21 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
Question Screw types for metal stud framing?

HI! I see two different type of screws for framing and I have checking all kinds of videos and its never clear which one is for which.. On some videos it shows a wafer head and others it appears to be pan head .. ( though the pan head does protrude more than the wafer head )

Panhead versus Waffer head..

I am building metal stud walls and I want to know what is normally used to attach the stud to the frame base..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-15, 09:16 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 45,144
Welcome to the forums.

I prefer the wafer head style as the head doesn't push the sheetrock too far off the stud.
The ones on the left are self-drilling with a little drill point built in.
The ones on the right are super sharp and just penetrate the metal studs.

I see both used on jobsites. They both have their advantages. The self drilling are a little easier to use.

Name:  screws 2.jpg
Views: 4273
Size:  15.6 KB
Old 10-11-15, 04:26 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 2
thanks for the response.. I was not sure if I could use panheads for the drywall side..although I do agree with you about the gap it can leave.

The image of those wafer heads shown in the pics is what I was also leaning towards using as well..

Thanks for confirming it

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes