Oak stair treads on curved staircase

Old 11-14-15, 06:36 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oak stair treads on curved staircase

I would like to remove the carpet from our curved staircase and install oak treads and risers. It sounds like the most popular strategy is to cut the plywood of the existing tread (nosing) back so that it is flush with the existing riser, and then install a cap over the plywood tread. Am I going to get myself into trouble if I simply remove the existing plywood tread and REPLACE it with an oak tread (using the plywood as a template)?
Thank you

Old 11-14-15, 07:46 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I would like to remove the carpet from our curved staircase and install oak treads and risers.
I have a feeling that you already have oak treads that just need, to be refinished. I doubt that they are plywood.

Old 11-14-15, 12:53 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Not sure why he would think there's already hardwood there already.
Very common to use plywood or OSB under carpeted stairs.
When I do stair treads I use a real stair gauge and a 12" sliding compound saw so I can make the cuts in one pass and they fit tight to the skirts.
Google "stair gauge" on ideas to make your own.
You'll soon find out the skirts are always a little off and without a gauge you'll end up with gaps and will look like poop if you try to fill them.

Old 11-14-15, 07:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Not sure why he would think there's already hardwood there already.
Here in NY, stairs are never carpeted when the house is built. Usually, when stairs are carpeted, the home owner did it, at a later date. If that's not true in other places, I didn't know about it.

Old 11-15-15, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I've painted 100s of new construction 2 story homes over the last 40 yrs and I only recall once where they carpeted over oak. Carpeted stairs in the south have plywood, osb or 2x12 treads.

Old 11-15-15, 06:19 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I lived in Florida, for a year & the construction seemed strange/different. Many of the houses, in NY were built in the 20s & some in later decades. Carpet wasn't used, in new construction. I guess that it became popular, in the 60s. Now homeowners are going back, to the hard wood floors. I shampooed carpet for many years & it just holds the dirt. When I used an extractor, you wouldn't believe how black the water was.

When was the last time that you shampooed yours? If the answer is over 6 months, it's time to rent a machine. Make sure that it comes with the upholstery attachment, for corners & furniture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: