remove thinset from hardi backer

Old 11-29-15, 07:49 PM
remove thinset from hardi backer

so I have about 30sq ft of thinset to remove from some hardi backer that I still want to tile on.. I know I can spray it down and hack away at it and eventually I can get it off..

but wondering if I can speed things along with a demo hammer and floor scraper? I want to avoid damaging the hardie backer.. its hardie 500... since I want to tile over it... is that stuff tough enough to deal with the demo hammer if i keep it at a good angle?

I got a patch of it off by spraying it and using a scraper on my sawzall but looking to speed it along a bit..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-15, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Grinder and a diamond cup wheel. Wet it to keep the dust down.

Old 11-29-15, 09:25 PM
Anything special I gotta do to avoid tearing up the hardie backer ? I read a post from someone else that said they used a diamond cup wheel and didn't damage the hardie at all.. But seems like it could shred it no?

Old 11-30-15, 02:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
30 sf is only two sheets of hardibacker. Can you not remove the backer and install new? Unless you are really good, you may encounter gouges in the cbu. But a cup wheel will be your best bet if you choose to leave the cbu down.

Old 12-06-15, 06:42 AM
Angle grinder with diamond cup works perfectly... Especially with a dust shroud and my shop vac. Have to stop and knock the dust off the filter but it works and keeps the dust down to pratically nothing.

Old 12-06-15, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah those dust shrouds are amazing. Hard to believe the could work that well!