Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Framing for wall niche/recessed shelf

NE

12-08-15, 03:03 PM   #1  
Framing for wall niche/recessed shelf

Hey guys, I'm currently remodeling my master bath and tiling the shower Im looking to see what the proper framing would be if any to do a nich or recessed shelf the entire width of the back wall 60". The back wall is a non load bearing wall tha runs the entire length of the bathroom with a divider that seperates an alcove shower and the toilet. Can I just box on top of the nich and the bottom nich and make essentially two frames on the wall tying everything to the outermost studs? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

NE

12-08-15, 03:13 PM   #2  
Sorry here is a basic picture of what I am trying to accomplish Name:  shower-niche-shelf.jpg
Views: 4388
Size:  26.8 KB

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-08-15, 03:37 PM   #3  
That is a separate wall built in front of a structural wall. I would look into a kerdi system to waterproof it all before tiling. I would not rely solely on any paint on membranes for waterproofing. There also is a linear drain against the wall. Have you researched them?

Group Moderator

NE

12-08-15, 03:59 PM   #4  
Yeah it looks like a double wall. Build the first wall then stagger the studs of the 2nd wall. Horizontal blocking in the 2nd wall can then be nailed to the studs in the first wall.

NE

12-09-15, 07:31 AM   #5  
Ok that's kind of what I was thinking, thanks for the replys.

Search this Thread