Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Adding another layer of subfloor

MI

12-22-15, 04:23 AM   #1  
Adding another layer of subfloor

Hello

I have a family cottage I am attempting to remodel. It has 3/4 plywood over 2x8 joists (16 oc) and over a crawl space. I am going to add another layer of 3/4 plywood over the top a living area that was formerly carpeted, in order to install vinyl laminate throughout the whole home.

My question is....should I install the plywood sheets perpendicular to the current subfloor (90 degrees rotated)? Or should I install them with the length/grain going the same way - just stagger the joints so they don't line up?

Also, the current floor is nailed. I was thinking about going over it with screws, then screwing and gluing the next level of subfloor. This is a high traffic area, and I am just looking to avoid squeaks if possible. Is this overkill? Skip the glue? Or use the glue?

Last question....is tongue and groove necessary for the second layer? Or since there is already a layer of TG, it is entirely necessary.

Thanks

Nathan

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

VA

12-22-15, 05:28 AM   #2  
Is 3/4" needed? 1/2" would be fine to give the floor some stiffness. Yes, screw the original floor down, pull any offending nails that currently squeak. Use exterior deck screws for subfloor application. Do not glue the second layer down. The strength axis of the panels says that they should be placed across he floor joists, not running with then. Stagger the joints so they don't line up an screw the second layer to the first, not the joists.

MI

12-22-15, 06:16 AM   #3  
Great - thank you. I will avoid the glue...and will only screw the thickness of both panels (1.5")

I am adding 3/4 simply because it will make the height the same as the adjoining room. Otherwise I would be happy to add 1/2.

Thanks for the advice

VA

12-22-15, 06:27 AM   #4  
Why does it even need a second layer?
What grade of plywood and condition is that subfloor in?
All a vinyl laminate needs is a smooth flat surface so in most cases you could just use 1/4" muti ply subfloor rated plywood and not have to deal with such a big difference in floor heights, no luan!
Only floor that would need all that added thickness is tile.

Search this Thread