Cutting laminate out of a doorway

Old 01-14-16, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting laminate out of a doorway

Previous owner installed laminate flooring all through my downstairs, and I am replacing one of the rooms with carpet. The problem I am running into, is the laminate is coming into and past the doorway into the room. How can I cleanly cut the laminate in the doorway, including up to the jambs on either side so that I can put the carpet up to it and put down the transition? Circular saw is too big to go from door jamb to door jamb so I have to find another solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-16, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Oscillating saw. Fein Multimaster is the original and maybe the best but it's expensive. Harbor Freight model is the lowest end and works pretty well for a homeowner.

Old 01-14-16, 01:41 PM
Yeah, i'm looking for cheap and affordable. It's something I won't need to continue using so spending a fortune on the tool isn't beneficial to me.

Is there a special head that goes on it for cutting laminate flooring, or will the stock one work for it?

Old 01-14-16, 02:01 PM
Received 36 Votes on 31 Posts
Post a picture of what you have going on.
Transition should be in the middle of the door stop molding.

Old 01-14-16, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I know where the transition goes, just need to find out how to cut the laminate. Right now, there's corners of some of the pieces that intersect the middle of the door stop molding that I need to cut back so that I can put the transition in. Just trying to find the best way to cut it.

Old 01-14-16, 02:20 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Use your circular saw to get as much as you can, then go with the multi oscillating tool to finish. You will install a molding strip that covers the edge of the laminate so you don't have to be overly exact.

Old 01-14-16, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The tendency is to apply too much pressure when using the multi-tool. Light pressure and a shop vac to keep the sawdust clear is the way to go. It can help to screw down a guide strip of wood to cut a straight line. People expect them to cut quickly, but it's only a few teeth cutting and they are only moving a little bit, so it cuts fairly slowly, especially on hard wood. The blades get really hot fast if you push them, and the cheap blades will lose their hardness quickly.

The blades come in two basic shapes, sort of a 2/3 circle and long and skinny with the teeth on the end. You'll need the latter for the close parts, but I find the former faster and easier when trying to cut a straight line.