Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Attaching 2x10 to metal pipe

02-22-16, 12:07 PM   #1  
Attaching 2x10 to metal pipe

First thing let me apologize for the long post

I have a metal barn with a room that has 4 1/2 inch vertical metal pipe along the walls (secured in the concrete slab and attach at the top to the roof I beams) spaced different lengths apart. The longest run between the pipes along the wall is 14 ft 9 inches (there is a roll up door between those 2 pieces of pipe). The other pipes are spaced 11ft or less. Why the aren't uniformed I don't know. The total room size is 33ft x 12 1/2ft with the ceiling 15ft in the center and gradually sloping downward in both directions.

What I'm wanting to do is build a ceiling 9ft tall across the whole room with a staircase and use the top part for storage. The bottom part would be kids game room and insulate the metal walls up to the 9 ft ceiling and insulate between the ceiling floor joist and the floor of the storage space and install can lights.

Will 2x10's be adequate to run around the walls attached to the pipe ( longest run between pipe 14ft 9 inches) then attach 2x10's running across the room every 16 inches on center to those 2x10's attached to the pipe. Also, how do I attach those 2x10's to the pipe. Bolt and nut? What size and how many. Any other suggestions on the build are appreciated.

Sponsored Links

VA

02-22-16, 12:21 PM   #2  
Posting a picture of what you have would be a huge help as well as a location for any code issues.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-22-16, 12:48 PM   #3  
Is this a manufactured building? The first question in my mind is whether the poles can support the additional load of the flooring system and whatever you might store on it. If you know the manufacturer you may be able to find out if the additional load is safe. If the building wasn't designed with this in mind, or if you don't know whether it was or wasn't, you would probably be better off building a self supporting structure just inside the building walls. Even then you will need to be concerned with the strength of the slab. It would basically be like building a raised deck inside the structure.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

02-22-16, 12:53 PM   #4  
Sorry about that. Can send more if needed.

Name:  Barn Photo.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  25.0 KB

Group Moderator

WI

02-22-16, 12:55 PM   #5  
Some explanation of why attaching to the pipe is a good idea would help as well.

02-22-16, 01:15 PM   #6  
It was custom built. The 4 1/2 inch metal pipes(schedule 40) are in the slab, which is pretty thick and are welded to the I beams at the top. When I pull, push and beat on the pipes that don't move or budge. As you can see from the pic this is a 6 stall horse barn and the room I want to build this in starts from the sliding glass door to the left ending at the sliding glass door to the right. Previously this room was for storage, saddles etc and washing the horses. There is a drain in the slab and a tankless water heater on the wall that I will remove.

Name:  Barn Out.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  31.4 KB

02-22-16, 01:34 PM   #7  
I thought it would be easier attaching to the pipes since the are poured into the slab than building walls all the way around and then attaching them to the slab

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

02-22-16, 02:35 PM   #8  
Wouldn't need to build walls, you could use posts at the corners, and maybe one in the middle of each side.

If you're intent on fastening to the pipes, an engineer could do a load calculation (he'd have to determine the gauge of the pipe) and determine safety, and could also design a weldment that would support the load. If it was just going to be a little light storage you could probably use heavy U bolts to attach a ledger, but I wouldn't trust it for anything like a full flooring system.

Paul

Inside every small project is a big project waiting to slug you over the head and take all your money and time....

Group Moderator

NE

02-22-16, 03:12 PM   #9  
My thought was attach a 2x4 vertically to the post so that the 2x10 or lvl ledger could sit on top of it, through bolt it... then all the joists would be put in hangers.

But I like the idea of welding a ledger support (heavy angle iron?) onto the posts even better.

Search this Thread