Replace load bearing wall with LVL beam

Old 02-27-16, 09:51 AM
Replace load bearing wall with LVL beam

We are remodeling a singe story with basement 1948 house to remove the load bearing wall between the kitchen and LR. And also move the same wall by 3' through the rest of the house. The load bearing wall goes through the entire house and lines up on top of a similar wall in the basement. The span to remove is about 15' and the span that is shifting by 3' is also 15'.
Is it feasible to install 2 different LVL beams on top of the ceiling joists in the attic? There is space for 7-1/4" beams that would be doubled or tripled if needed. We want the ceiling flush and installing on top of the joists seems easier than cutting the joists. Thanks for any information!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-16, 09:59 AM
Sure it's possible, but there's a lot involved and I'm afraid it's beyond a forum like this to give detailed info. The ends of the beams will need proper bearing all the way to the foundation, the beams need to be designed for all the loads, and the means for hanging the joists needs to be designed. to handle the loads properly.

You definitely need an engineer to design this; and I'm quite sure you won't get a permit without an engineer's stamp anyway.

Old 02-27-16, 10:13 AM
Thanks. That's what we thought but we are in a tiny town in Kansas. The local engineers said to ask a builder and just over build it rather than ask a professional. (Because none are available). Just figured someone here might have practical experience to draw from.

Old 02-27-16, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
I followed you up until the point where you talked about shifting the wall 3'. As Paul mentioned, headers need load paths, straight down to the foundation. Sadly, a 7 1/4" lvl is not going to do what you want. The easiest thing to do is to build 2 temporary walls, cut the joists, place them in hangers, and use a bigger lvl that is raised into position from below, assuming the ends of that header will have columns or load bearing walls to transfer that weight to the footing. Notice I said "footing" and not just the basement floor.

If, by moving the wall 3', you mean completely moving that wall 3' away (parallel to, but 3' removed) from its former location, well you are probably moving it off the load bearing wall that is directly below it. Not possible unless you give that new wall a new load path to the footing below.

I also agree that it's pretty much impossible for us to give decent advice to such a vague question with no pictures or knowledge of the roof structure, span of rooms, and size of load. Getting someone to visit your home- carpenter or otherwise- in person is your best bet. Sometimes lumber yards will have a trustworthy guy who can visit your home and give you suggestions, since they want to supply your materials. They can also suggest carpenters if you have no idea who to call or know what sort of reputation they have.