Adding stone tile to a living room wall.

Old 03-08-16, 11:02 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding stone tile to a living room wall.

So I'm trying to add stone tile to a living room wall.

However, rather than just install it on part of the flat wall which is say 20ft, I wanted to construct a wall that extends out say 6" for about 5 feet wide (8ft high) and put tile on this new area /wall. This would create more of a 'feature' if it were able to 'jut' out.

However, while I was planning this out, I realized that I am going to have trouble constructing this wall because the ceiling joists are not in the right place to secure framing to and I also have a tile floor.

My question is what other methods have I got to create this effect? Can I secure anything suitable to the wall (8ft high x 5ft wide) that will be able to hold the weight of tiles? It's a wall in a new home (well 10yrs old) that has studs plus its an external wall too.

Hopefully the above makes sense!

Old 03-08-16, 11:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Are you planning to remove the tile where your new wall will sit?

Old 03-08-16, 11:24 AM
The wall doesn't need to connect to the joists, it's basically only a box.

I would build the wall to your height and width and secure it to the existing wall studs using toenailed screws.

The tile should be cut out as stickshift said.

Old 03-08-16, 11:50 AM
B
I was hoping not to have to remove the tile... but I guess if constructing a wall is looking a little simpler then I might.

ok so just toe nailing to the existing wall will do it?

Old 03-08-16, 12:34 PM
Yes.
I would build the wall using 2x6's or whatever it takes to get your depth. The studs of the new wall should be placed to align with existing studs, basically just extending the studs out. You need a top plate, but it doesn't have to be attached to anything above.

You could build the wall over the tile, but I wouldn't advise it. If you cut the tile it will be very dusty so be prepared. I use a 3" circular saw with a vacuum attachment and it contains the dust pretty good.

Old 03-08-16, 01:36 PM
B
Thank you for your reply..

The challenge with aligning with the existing studs is that the stud are not in the right location for what I need. It would make this wall off center.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: