Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Framing, Flooring and Sub-Flooring
Reload this Page >

Replacing Rotten Sill Joist - Sub floor under wall

Old 03-14-16, 01:38 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I've got a 1950's ranch that has a sill joist that runs the center of the house. All the joist were rotten and falling apart. I've got the living room completely removed and I'm working on removing the kitchen floor which is adjacent to the living room. Once I get that remove I believe I can brace the mill wall and start my process of jacking the house up to cut out the sill joist.

My question is what do I do about the subfloor that was under the wall? Once I go to put the sill joist back in there will not be a 3/4 subfloor under that wall. Do I just cut a piece of ply to go on top of my sill joist?

I don't have the money to pay someone to do this. Every quote I got was like 40k dollars. The outside sill joist look fine, its the middle sill joist that is rotten. All the floor joist are rotten and need to be removed.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 03-14-16, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The picture you provided is limited to say the least. Do you have any step back pictures showing us a better perspective of the entire project? It would help us help you. Also, if you fill out your profile, we will know where you are located and can narrow down information for you that way .

Old 03-14-16, 02:47 PM
B
More photos, I can take more if I need to.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 03-14-16, 03:01 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Subflooring should have been cut out with a Toe Kick saw or at least a sawsall with a short wide course toothed bimetal blade so it was even with the bottom plate.
There is no need to replace what's under the plate.
Location in your profile would be nice in case your lucky enough to have someone here that could stop by to see what your up against.
Figured out what caused all this damage?
Wet crawl space, no vapor barrier? Looks like fungus damage.
You've made a whole lot more work for yourself by busting up that drywall and trim like that.
Could have removed the trim with no damage and cut the drywall 4' up in a straight line with an ossilating saw and had no damage above that point.

Old 03-14-16, 07:38 PM
B
I will get a toe kick saw and get it evened up. My help did the dry wall stuff when I was working on something else. I knew to only to go up four feet, but he was trying help. I told him later about it and he felt bad.
I saved most of the trim except for those doors. I actually didn't know that the trim wasn't removed correctly until you said something. I saved all the original trim because it's real wood.

The crawl space has ground water over the years and not enough ventilation. I'm planning on cutting new vents. I'm also putting in a french drain around the house to move the ground water away. The south side of the house has absolutely no crawl space vents.

Also thinking of having an electrician come in and run to wire, this stuff looks old.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: