Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Leveling a floor - stuck

03-17-16, 04:58 PM   #1  
Leveling a floor - stuck

Currently remodeling my upstairs bathroom it is 9' x 5'. I want to level the floor (it is out about 1/4" over 60". Currently there is 12"x12" tile on the floor (easily removed leaving the black glue beneath). Below the tile there is of course glue, then the plywood. Below the plywood is 1" t&g planking. I want to level out the floor for a shower insert, also repair around the existing toilet. I do not however, want to keep raising the substrate if I don't have to as currently there is no need for a transition piece between the bathroom and the hall.(I know that there may have to be one once reno's are complete). I guess what I am looking for is advise on how to level the floor. Do I attempt to cut out the plywood only (strip it down to the planking), or remove tiles and just poor floor leveler on it. It will be a floating floor I put back in the bathroom BTW. Here is a picture so far.

Name:  IMAG0165.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  26.4 KB

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-17-16, 05:10 PM   #2  
Is the 1/4" that much of a problem? It seems like a lot of work to correct it. Is there a cellar below that bathroom.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

03-17-16, 06:34 PM   #3  
What is the thickness of your plywood? If it is 1/4" it can be pulled up with the tile and replaced easier than de-gluing where the tile was. Hopefully your "floating" floor won't be laminate.

Group Moderator

NE

03-17-16, 06:54 PM   #4  
I would probably rip out the plywood just to get rid of the black glue. Then strip the subfloor with shims as needed to level it, then screw a new layer of plywood underlayment down for your new floor. Judging by how much sill plate is showing, I'm guessing maybe the plywood is currently 1/2" thick?

You could also forget the shims and just put a little floor leveler down on top of the new plywood, like Ardex feather finish.

CT

03-18-16, 06:10 AM   #5  
I would probably just level the shower and live with the slope. Assuming that it is linear, the end to end would be <1/2".

Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-18-16, 06:21 AM   #6  
I agree with CW. Level the shower & the toilet & be done with it.

03-18-16, 06:24 AM   #7  
1/4" is not that big a problem...if it stops there. I will double check the thickness of the plywood, but I am sure it is larger than 1/4", I am thinking it was more 1/2" . I don't mind extra work, I just want to make sure it is done correctly and will last another 40 plus years. And I was thinking of the waterproof Vinyl flooring.....Comments on that?

03-18-16, 06:28 AM   #8  
There is an unfinished basement below the bathroom. Some of the bathroom is above my furnace, but pretty accessible.

Temporarily Suspended

NY

03-18-16, 07:00 AM   #9  
If you really want to level the floor & you have access from below, you maybe able to put a 2x4 across the joists & jack it up. Then put some screws in the joists to hold it there. I'm not recommending that. I'm just mentioning it as a possibility. I still say that the best thing to do is level the shower & toilet & forget about the slope.

I like rubberized flooring. It comes in rolls.

Search this Thread