2x6 T&G Tub/Tile install

Old 04-26-16, 10:30 AM
2x6 T&G Tub/Tile install

So I have 2x6 T&G subfloor, when i removed the tub it was directly on top of the T&G and the tile had been placed on top of 1/2in ply and 1/2in cement board. Is it ok to do the same setup or should I extend the plywood under the tub? What would you do??

Thanks.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-16, 11:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need both the plywood and cement board for tile. Dimensional lumber (2x6 in your case) expands and contracts too much for tile to be a stable base. If you are replacing all the tile, you only need 1/4" cement board for floors set in a bed of thinset mortar.

Old 04-26-16, 11:14 AM
I'm putting 1/2" plywood & 1/2" cement board under the tile. I am just wondering do I lay the tub down on the 2x6 T&G subfloor (the old tub was put directly on the 2x6 T&G subfloor), or do I build it up with 1/2in plywood as well. The tile would go up to the tub skirt, not underneath.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-16, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your fine doing it either way. If the 2x6 is in good shape, why waste the extra ply. Unless there is some detail on the skirt that would look odd if it were not stilted up a little more.

Edit, hey Jason, welcome to he forum! Glad to have you here.

Old 04-26-16, 12:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The plywood would only help under the tub, so you can't go wrong. I would only add the plywood if the height of the tub is not an issue.