Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Does this subfloor have to be replaced?

WA

05-19-16, 11:33 AM   #1  
Does this subfloor have to be replaced?

Good Morning, This is my first post on this site, so here goes.

I am attempting to mitigate some water damage and rot from a poorly sealed door frame. The door faces the west shore of a large lake in the pacific northwest and receives a moderate to heavy amount of precipitation against it. I know I need to replace the doorjamb and drywall but I was hoping I could still use the subfloor. The floor isn't spongy at all but it it is discolored and a little rough in places. It doesn't appear that it would be that easy to repair since it has a railing involved, either that or I'm missing some easier solution. Please help so my wife will stop asking me when I'm going to finish it.

Name:  IMG_2395.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  42.2 KB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-19-16, 12:03 PM   #2  
Welcome to the forums!

Discoloration doesn't hurt any but does the plywood still lay flat all the way across? You do intend to pull the threshold and properly seal it, right?

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

VA

05-19-16, 01:08 PM   #3  
Looks like the door jamb took the brunt of it. If anything, make the determination on the subfloor when you are replacing the door. At that time, you will be able to see everything all the way to the edge of the plywood. Make sure you install a door pan this next time to avoid similar issues. You also need to order your new door with a rot proof jamb.

VA

05-19-16, 03:40 PM   #4  
Looks like once again someone missed the class on building 101 and there a slab pored even with the threshold, which is a sure way to have water coming in under it and taking out the subflooring, bottom plates, sheathing, Ect.
Post another picture of the outside further back please.

WA

05-21-16, 09:49 AM   #5  
Thank you so much for your reply? Do you have a recommendation on a good jamb and door pan? I would like to order from one of the box stores since they are so close, however if i need to go to a builder supply i can do that too. Thanks.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-21-16, 09:53 AM   #6  
You'll have to order it, but it is available. You may need a wider one, depending on the thickness of your walls. SureSill 4-9/16 in. x 78 in. White PVC Sloped Sill Pan for Door and Window Installation and Flashing (Complete Pack)-HDO 4_63S 080 - The Home Depot

VA

05-21-16, 12:33 PM   #7  
My local Home Depot has then as well as my local lumber yard.

Search this Thread