Wall Removal: Beam Capacity what are the limits

Old 05-24-16, 10:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall Removal: Beam Capacity what are the limits

I'm in the preliminary planning phase for a major addition to my house.

Current house is 26x46 rambler with WW Trusses spanning the whole house. I want to expand straight back through my current roof bearing wall with a 23 foot opening.

Before building I'll need actual structural engineer work, etc. But I'd like to get in the realm of possible to save time and money when I take my plan to the architect and or engineer.

Can I span 23 feet of roof with a beam that will not extend too low across the opening.

Name:  Home Addition.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  10.7 KB

From the quick sketch. The yellow is the existing house. Green is the planned 15x46 addition. The center line in the yellow is the current wall that separates the front and back of the house. In the end I'm picturing two beams one for each half of the house to open up a master suite on one side and a Large Kitchen dining area on the other.

Is this possible? Approximately how low would the various options for the beam extend?

Not sure if this helps, but the ceilings are 8 ft.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-16, 11:03 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Could you add a few pictures of the outside of your house so we can get a better idea which way the roof sits, etc. I would help visualize the situation....

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-24-16, 11:17 AM
T
The roof trusses bridge the short side of the house ~26 feet. So the Line in red on the diagram below is the bearing wall for the roof trusses that I need to remove to open it up to the new addition. I can add more pictures tonight.

Old 05-24-16, 11:41 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
So what were you thinking as to roof over new section? Just a flat or nearly flat roof?

Old 05-24-16, 11:58 AM
T
I'm open to whatever. Like I previously stated I'm trying to figure out what is possible before I go to the builder for the final details.

My initial thought was a new primary ridge running perpendicular to the current roof. I think this is called a hip? This would fall in center of the middle vertical line in the diagram below.